1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

2020 Baseball Hall of Fame Class

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Della9250, Jul 9, 2019.

1. cyclingwriter2

cyclingwriter2 Well-Known Member

True, but not my point. Fart posted that guys like walker shouldn’t be dinged for playing in Coors because guys at Fenway don’t. Scout then showed Williams splits, which were fantastic and not that far apart. He also posted walker, who while good on the road were amazing at coors.

My take is that without Fenway, several Sox players were average with Doerr being the prime example of a guy whose away numbers were marginal but who was so great at Fenway it got him in the Hall 20 years before his contemporary Joe gordon, who was a much better player, got in.

3_Octave_Fart likes this.
  2. heyabbott

heyabbott Well-Known Member

And the ignorant fools who run the Hall of Fame should hang their heads in absolute shame for not inducting Marvin Miller while he was alive. And they should be absolutely ashamed of their own simple mindedness for not inducting Curt Flood a man essentially who sacrificed his own career for principles who helped every player who came after him. Flood has as much lasting impact on the game as anyone, ever.,

JC and swingline like this.
  3. 3_Octave_Fart

3_Octave_Fart Well-Known Member

Lot of guys these asswipes could have gotten in while they were still alive. "It wasn't their turn," we were told.

Their clownish piety has always been surpassed only by their arrogance.

heyabbott likes this.
  4. heyabbott

D5C43C2B-BB79-4D8F-A4E9-85D1A4A9FF33.jpeg
    Babe Ruth and the 1914 Providence Greys

justgladtobehere and maumann like this.
  5. justgladtobehere

justgladtobehere Well-Known Member

I remember something from a long time ago. I think it was a Rob Neyer study or something he discussed in his ESPN blog from decades ago. Maybe it was from Baseball Think Factory. Whatever, the stats showed that Rockies players performed better on the road as their road trips went on. The thought was that there was an adjustment to pitch movement between Denver and everywhere else, dragging down road stats.

6. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

That sounds familiar and it certainly fits in with my theory. That's as close to data that I know of to support my thinking, which started in a discussion I had with Curtis Leskanic in 2000 or 2001. It was his first or second year with the Brewers after playing for the Rockies his first seven seasons. I forget exactly how we got on the topic, but he explained all the ways pitching in Coors Field messed with him and other pitchers and how those troubles translated to their road games. The more I thought about it, the more I wondered if Coors Field had some kind of effect on the hitters when they had to adjust to playing in other parks.

7. heyabbott

So the gutless sportswriter who didn't put Jeter on his ballot refuses to make his ballot public. Under the rules he’s allowed that choice. He also lacks the intellectual ability to defend his vote. You make the decision not to put him on your ballot, contrary to every single other voting member, you should own up to it and why. As a news story, this journalist is ducking the media by hiding and running away. As a baseball writer, he appears to lack the judgment and ability to do his job.

8. goalmouth

goalmouth Well-Known Member

The last time Rhode Island was baseball-relevant.

9. CD Boogie

CD Boogie Well-Known Member

Come on, it’s home to the Red Sox triple A team, Pawtucket :)

10. MTM

MTM Well-Known Member

The voter had to know what kind of heat would come from the exclusion. Own up to it and say "I didn't vote for Jeter because ..." and deal with the fallout. I bet the writer wouldn't have an issue questioning or second-guessing a manager over a decision, so this shouldn't be any different with the shoe on the other foot.

heyabbott likes this.
  11. CD Boogie

CD Boogie Well-Known Member

What if it was a mistake? Does Jack O’Connell have the right/option to question a ballot? Like, what if someone missed by one vote and someone spilled some sauce on their ballot and maybe just maybe it’s a check mark under it? Or what if a ballot gets damaged in the mail? Or what if someone accidentally didn’t vote for Jeter? Can Jack call them and ask them about it? Would he?

12. heyabbott

then own up to it. Players and coaches make mistakes all the time. And journalists point out those mistakes. And question the players and coaches. Lambast then for errors. I’m sure this guy remembers Bill Buckner’s error, so his error should be remembered.

Draft saved Draft deleted