1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

2020 Baseball Hall of Fame Class

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Della9250, Jul 9, 2019.

1. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

Man, I would not be spitting in Death's face that way. Bad karma to the max.

2. CD Boogie

CD Boogie Well-Known Member

3. Della9250

Della9250 Well-Known Member

Peter Gammons dropped Walker (and Helton) despite only voting for six. And then laments that he hopes Walker doesn't miss by a vote. I can't even

4. Della9250

From the day before. Through 200 votes, believed to be 48.5 percent of the total:

100 -- Jeter
    85 -- Walker (needs to flip 87 voters, has flipped 32. Based on last year he's at 62 percent)
    79 -- Schilling (needs to flip 60 voters, has flipped 10)
    72.5 -- Bonds (Bonds needs to flip 68, has flipped 3)
    71.5 -- Clemens (Clemens needs to flip 66, has flipped 2)
    50 -- Rolen (plus 49)
    49 -- Vizquel (plus 22)
    36.5 -- Shefffield (plus 43)
    34.5 -- Wagner (plus 34)
    33.5 -- Helton (plus 32)
    33 -- Kent (plus 31)
    32 -- Manny (plus 12)
    25 -- Jones (plus 28)
    17 -- Sosa (plus 10)
    10 -- Pettitte (plus 7)
    6.5 -- Abreu

If Walker keeps this pace he falls 17 votes short. Rolen has almost as many added votes (49) than he had total votes last year (73). Sheffield is even closer with 43 adds to 58 total votes and Jones has added 23 to his total of 28 last year.

5. tapintoamerica

tapintoamerica Well-Known Member

I saw a projection in which Schilling has 80% of known votes but is projected to fall short of the 75% threshold. Is there a presumption that those who don't reveal their votes in advance are appreciably different than those who do?

6. Della9250

Correct. The history of the ballots that do not get revealed show voting patterns for players in both directions. It is why Walker is straddling the fence and may are predicting he ends up short -- last year he was a little more than 11 percent worse on hidden ballots. A guy like Schilling always underperforms in the final tally. A guy like Don Mattingly, as an example, would always get a higher final percent by a decent margin because those silent voters were in his corner

7. tapintoamerica

tapintoamerica Well-Known Member

I've always thought Mattingly should be in.
    I sort of figured Schilling would fare better among the silent crowd than the public version because he's such a vile, bigoted human. If you were going to vote for him, you wouldn't want anybody to know it.

8. Della9250

It's being a smaller hall voter than anything else. They don't think Schilling belongs more than his off-the-field bullshit.

9. Della9250

Well that will help get voters on his side

10. Jake from State Farm

Jake from State Farm Well-Known Member

Saw Larry Walker play on a Double A team in Jacksonville with Delino DeShields, Marquis Grissom and Randy Johnson

11. Della9250

The basically final tally got to 219 ballots. Walker was at 83.6 and Schilling was at 77.6

12. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

Did they win when you were there? I hope so.

Draft saved Draft deleted