1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

2020 Atlantic Hurricane Season Running Thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Driftwood, Mar 25, 2020.

1. Neutral Corner

Neutral Corner Well-Known Member

2. Driftwood

Driftwood Well-Known Member

6:45 a.m. Monday.
    The center of the storm is just off Cape Lookout. Looks like it's going to skirt Hatteras an move on out to sea.
    I just checked a couple of web cams from the area. It's certainly rough and nasty. The beaches on the upper part of the Outer Banks are taking a beating from northeast quadrant.

3. Slacker

Slacker Well-Known Member

Worth a cyclone-jack: This sucker is about to whack India
    and Bangladesh, and the deadly storm surge will be huge ...

Cyclone Amphan update: India and Bangladesh brace for record storm - CNN

Millions of people in India and Bangladesh are in the path of a super cyclone which is due to make landfall in less than 36 hours, bringing damaging winds and heavy rain to a region already struggling with the coronavirus pandemic.

Super Cyclone Amphan became the strongest storm ever recorded in the Bay of Bengal on Monday night, after intensifying with sustained wind speeds of up to 270 kilometers per hour (165 miles per hours), according to data from the US Joint Typhoon Warning Center.

Amphan has weakened slightly since, but the storm is still the equivalent of a strong Category 4 Atlantic hurricane, or a super typhoon in the West Pacific, with winds speeds up to 240 kph (150 mph).

4. lakefront

lakefront Well-Known Member

5. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

Time for hurricanes, cyclones and typhoons to get together and just pick a name.

First bicycle I had was a Schwinn Typhoon, so I pick that one.

[​IMG]

6. Driftwood

Carolina Hurricanes

7. Sam Mills 51

Sam Mills 51 Well-Known Member

Hurricanes for the Western Hemisphere ... see also: Moniker for Carolina's NHL team (and the constantly wrong reference to the market by North American national media types), experienced too many to count.

Typhoons for the Eastern Hemisphere ... those are a little unsettling when having to ride those out in substandard housing even if on a military base.

Bicycle is obviously an Eastern Hemisphere creation ...

Last edited: May 19, 2020
  8. Driftwood

On a side note, that bike would be sweet at the beach if it had some sort of rack on the back that would hold a 12 pack when I ride up to the IGA.

9. Neutral Corner

Neutral Corner Well-Known Member

10. Driftwood

11. Mngwa

Mngwa Well-Known Member

Not surprised. Has a lot of rain in it based on the flood in my side yard.

12. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

We already had storms named Karen in 2013 and 2019, so at least she won't be causing any trouble this year.

OscarMadison likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted