1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

2020 Atlantic Hurricane Season Running Thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Driftwood, Mar 25, 2020.

1. Driftwood

Driftwood Well-Known Member

I was in boot camp when Hugo came through Florida, standing in the middle of part of it. You'd be surprised at how quickly a Navy white hat fills up with water and you have to dip your head to pour it out.
    A year later, I was in another one (can't remember which), filling and stacking sandbags to fight flooding. I was a drowned rat that day. You'd think there is only so wet you can get. You'd be mistaken.

maumann likes this.
  2. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

Neglected to mention in my first PSA: If you follow the advice and buy a South Florida home built in 1993 or later, you will probably gain the all-important benefit of underground power lines.

Old neighborhoods in Hollywood lost power for 2-3 weeks after Wilma. I lost it for about 30 minutes.

3. Neutral Corner

Neutral Corner Well-Known Member

Yeah, we were watching the Weather Channel pretty much non-stop - until the power went. No more radar updates then.

I can't imagine being in Houston when Hurricane Harvey squatted on them. Forty inches of rain is mind boggling.

maumann likes this.
  4. maumann

maumann Well-Known Member

OK, @Driftwood. Hoping for the best for you and yours, my friend, and that the hurricane stays tightly packed. Unfortunately, it appears you'll be on the worst side of it. As is typical, Holden Beach looks to be the best chance for landfall. (Not sure why poor Holden Beach is always the Cleveland State of hurricane targets. Beautiful place.)

Just don't wipe out the really good Calabash shrimp place on the state line.

Latest updates show possible 2-4 foot storm surge from Cape Fear to Hatteras (and 3-5 towards Myrtle Beach), which sucks, especially since you said they just fixed the erosion, although Onslow/Topsail might be spared the brunt of the tidal effects. The storm seems to be picking up speed quickly, so the event could be a quick punch from a Cat 1 with minimal hurricane strength winds right at 75 mph, if that.

Last edited: Aug 3, 2020
  5. Noholesinone

Noholesinone Well-Known Member

This was a complete non-factor here, about 60 miles from the beach ... three or four very brief spells of rain and 25-mph winds. Hope it continues to lack a punch as it moved northward.

Neutral Corner and maumann like this.
  6. 2muchcoffeeman

2muchcoffeeman Well-Known Member

Right on the beach, and we got about the same. Entire west side of the storm disappeared.

maumann and Neutral Corner like this.
  7. Mngwa

Mngwa Well-Known Member

There was some impressive wind sheer as it passed Florida

maumann likes this.
  8. maumann

I think the west coast got more rain bands wrapping around than anybody close to the hurricane. Every time I looked, it seemed like it was pouring in Fort Myers and Clearwater. My brother said there was one really strong wind event at about 11 p.m. last night, pretty much after the center of the storm had passed Cape Canaveral, but nothing stronger than a typical summer thunderstorm.

9. Driftwood

Thanks. I'm not there right now. My wife was, but she came home Saturday. She was supposed to stay until today but packed up. One app I have does have to eye going right across Holden Beach/Ocean Isle area and the top right corner catching Surf City about 2 a.m.
    I get emergency calls from the town, and they are implementing an 8 p.m.-7 a.m. curfew tonight - for the island, not mainland - where residents are to stay on their own property, and if anyone goes out on the beach, you're on your own.

maumann likes this.
  10. Driftwood

maumann likes this.
  11. Driftwood

Looks like a shift now has landfall at Myrtle Beach,

maumann likes this.
  12. maumann

Yeah, the latest discussion puts it very close to the border (but not South of the Border, because ... Pedro) with wind speeds right at hurricane strength. I'm seeing a heavy band of showers hitting the beach and Wilmington right now.

Driftwood likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted