1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

2020 Atlantic Hurricane Season Running Thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Driftwood, Mar 25, 2020.

1. maumann

maumann Well-Known Member

Latest info appears to show it becoming a minor hurricane as it brushes by the east coast of Florida on Sunday afternoon. That would be good, since the upper right corner is the most dangerous, but could cause a lot of beach erosion. Also good, it appears that it'll pick up a lot of speed soon.

MileHigh likes this.
  2. Driftwood

Driftwood Well-Known Member

That's the last thing we need. My island just completed beach re-nourishment this spring from Florence in '18.

maumann likes this.
  3. maumann

Brevard County was dredging and pumping sand all winter to make up for the past two storms. We need this thing to track farther east, my friend.

4. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

Considering where this thing was being projected earlier in the week and the freakout by SoFla TV stations, this is good. But, yes, get farther east.

5. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

6. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

When I moved down there and I had absolutely no freakin' clue, a longtime editor would always says, "Eh, don't worry, these things always make the turn to the north."

Me: "Andrew?"

Him: "There are exceptions."

I rented inland. And on a second floor.

maumann and 2muchcoffeeman like this.
  7. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

Andrew was the weirdest thing. That high pressure ridge would not allow it to even nudge north as it approached Florida. Things would have been so much worse had it done so.

maumann likes this.
  8. HappyCurmudgeon

HappyCurmudgeon Well-Known Member

Andrew is 1992 I think. I was a Weather Channel freak in those days and they would have their local updates every ten minutes. Seeing the radar screen was crazy. Here's this Cat 4 hurricane 100 miles below but it's wound so tight that where I lived barely got rain from outer bands. Got plenty of tropical storm force winds, but not much rain. And it was sunny for part of the day. Weird as hell I tell you.

Donny in his element and maumann like this.
  9. maumann

David was basically on the same track as Andrew in 1980(?) after plowing through the Caribbean as a Cat 5, aiming straight for Dania Beach between Fort Lauderdale and Miami, with a couple of million people in the center of the target. Somehow, David made a last-second turn up the coast, with spin-off tornadoes tearing up parts of Fort Pierce, Vero Beach, Melbourne and Titusville before bouncing back out to sea.

That's as lucky as I've been. Fran and Floyd were pretty much floodmakers by the time they got to Rocky Mount, although 75 mph sustained winds are pretty damn impressive. Floyd was worse because we had just been hit by all the rain from Dennis, which had nowhere to go.

10. Della9250

Della9250 Well-Known Member

11. Driftwood

Driftwood Well-Known Member

Isasias: that escalated quickly.
    As noted, I'd just as soon it keep peeling off to the east. As warm as the water is in the Gulf Stream right now, it could seriously intensify.
    There are two more systems building right in behind it, one in the middle of the Atlantic right now and another just rolling off the coast of Africa.

12. Mngwa

Mngwa Well-Known Member

The wind shear should keep it from getting stronger, but we'll see. Cantore is convinced a weaker storm drifts closer to Florida and a stronger one stays out to sea. Either way, it's all happening fast. And Andrew was 1992.

maumann likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted