1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

2020-21 College Basketball thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by JayFarrar, Sep 22, 2020.

1. Cosmo

Cosmo Well-Known Member

There's been a history of this in the ASun. Stetson was ineligible in 2016 due to APR issues and made it to the final against Florida Gulf Coast. The championship game was ultimately meaningless because the ASun awarded the tournament bid to North Florida, which won the regular season title.

Liberty won the regular season, so I'm sure the same rule is applying here. Also, both UNA and Bellarmine are transitioning and ineligible, and Jacksonville tapped out due to COVID, which would have left the ASun with a six-team tournament as it was.

2. dixiehack

dixiehack Well-Known Member

I didn’t realize JU had to bounce out. And it was even a co-host with North Florida.

The A-Sun is a sad little outfit run with the competency of a truck stop Subway. I know almighty football rules all, but I really think Eastern Kentucky and Jacksonville State are going to regret ditching the OVC for this shit show.

tapintoamerica and maumann like this.
  3. TigerVols

TigerVols Well-Known Member

Totally gonna steal this, most likely in future reference to UT athletic department.

maumann and Neutral Corner like this.
  4. dixiehack

I can’t stress this enough. If you pick Alabama to get past the opening weekend of March Madness you do so at your peril. No real point guard, too weak in the paint, too scared of contact to finish strong at the rim.

5. swingline

swingline Well-Known Member

I don’t know what Lunardi is seeing to put Alabama as a No. 2 seed. And Illinois as a No. 1 seed is a hell of a stretch.

Mizzou has seven Quad 1 victories, but they’ve been good-not great all season. The best the Tiggers can hope for is, at best, a 6 seed. More likely a 7 or 8 and a quick exit.

6. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

Only thing more underachieving the past six months than Tennessee football has been Tennessee basketball.

Three five-stars, two others on preseason All-SEC first team. Haven't won consecutive games since Feb. 10.

7. dixiehack

The SEC as a whole feels dreadfully mediocre this year, although Arkansas could still make a deep run.

8. Sam Mills 51

Sam Mills 51 Well-Known Member

Look at the ACC. The only school that has a serious chance of going beyond the first weekend is Florida State, which just got schooled at South Bend.

Mike Brey can coach and, if given another season, can show that giving him some time will pay off. But will the Irish write a big check and start over?

As for Florida State, they're tougher than a two-dollar steak in Tallahassee and still easily the most talented team in the ACC. But the road swoons have to stop.

Last edited: Mar 6, 2021
  9. ChrisLong

ChrisLong Well-Known Member

USC's only lead of the game against UCLA came with 1.4 seconds left. If Oregon State beats Oregon today, Trojans are Pac-12 champs. Same would have been true for UCLA if it had won today. Not expecting the Beavers to beat the Ducks.

I Should Coco likes this.
  10. dixiehack

Why is ESPN2 showing this white trash beat-em-up shit instead of Belmont-Morehead State?

11. micropolitan guy

micropolitan guy Well-Known Member

So, Carolina destroys Duke today. That will probably move the Blue Devils up two spots on Lunardi's last-four out list.

poindexter and HanSenSE like this.
  12. I Should Coco

I Should Coco Well-Known Member

This year's NCAA tournament really should be a crap shoot ... looking forward to how it plays out.

The early-season holiday tournaments and marquee nonconference games didn't all pan out due to COVID, so it's hard to gauge how well teams will do when they get out of their league. Florida State is certainly one of those teams that could lose early, or go on a Final Four run.

Hard to see my alma mater, Iowa, winning more than a couple NCAA games, though. Garza and Weiskamp are quality players, but they need another consistent scorer and/or outside shooter. And they need to play better defense than they have in their losses to Indiana, Illinois and Michigan, all of whom cruised to 80 or more points.

Draft saved Draft deleted