1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

2020-21 College Basketball thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by JayFarrar, Sep 22, 2020.

1. sgreenwell

sgreenwell Well-Known Member

As someone who's a fan of another Atlantic 10 team, were they supposed to give him a lifetime contract because he had some awesome teams a decade ago? The Atlantic 10 isn't a low major conference - If you miss the tournament for three straight years, and your third year is worse than your second, you're at risk of being fired. That being said, I'm not sure what the hiring process was for his replacement.

2. Big Circus

Big Circus Well-Known Member

From what I've seen of Gonzaga, they're not a team that plays at the level of their opponent. While it's true that they haven't seen tournament-level competition since December, I'm not too worried about their ability to ramp it up.

3. tapintoamerica

tapintoamerica Well-Known Member

We have a Covid-related conference tournament issue: Holy Cross forfeits to Loyola Md in the Patriot League.

4. Gutter

Gutter Well-Known Member

5. da man

da man Well-Known Member

6. Gutter

Gutter Well-Known Member

They combined all the points from the 3 OTs into the one column.

7. da man

da man Well-Known Member

Oh, I get it -- three OTs. Geez, you'd think they'd show that on the line score instead of putting the combined OT score.

8. Gutter

Gutter Well-Known Member

And then you have the Win Probabilities:

2021-03-03_11-37-43.png

2021-03-03_11-36-09.png

2021-03-03_11-36-51.png

... and my favorite:

2021-03-03_11-38-56.png

Wright State was up 72-48 with 6:46 left.

Ouch.

9. dixiehack

dixiehack Well-Known Member

What happened to Richmond? I thought they returned everybody in a year where that was more beneficial than ever and were a trendy pick in preseason. Instead they are the 8 seed. Did they get decimated by Captain Trips?

10. Cosmo

Cosmo Well-Known Member

UR hit at least four COVID pauses and lost one of their key shooters/playmakers to a knee injury before the season started. The win at Kentucky was huge at the time but we've all seen what's happened to UK since. They just never hit any sort of rhythm. A-10 has some decent teams but I think Bona and VCU are the only real at-large threats. If neither make it to the championship game, it's a one-bid league. That VCU loss at home to George Mason two weeks ago was brutal. A lot depends on if Hyland's foot is OK.

sgreenwell and dixiehack like this.
  11. sgreenwell

sgreenwell Well-Known Member

VCU also lost to URI, since for some reason they just don't play zone for 40 minutes. But, circle of Rams, URI is like .500 against Fordham, who's around .250 against all other A-10 teams, roughly.

12. Cosmo

Cosmo Well-Known Member

URI is a nightmare matchup for VCU, for whatever reason. Hell, the Rams needed a last-second 3 to beat URI in Kingston and that was with URI without Fats. My VCU friends are hardcore rooting for Dayton to win that game tomorrow, even if Dayton is plenty dangerous itself.

sgreenwell likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted