1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

2020-21 College Basketball thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by JayFarrar, Sep 22, 2020.

1. dixiehack

dixiehack Well-Known Member

Miami has a starter with the last name McGusty. I assume they beat out Iowa State and Tulsa in recruiting.

2. Jake from State Farm

Jake from State Farm Well-Known Member

The last time Tom Izzo missed the NCAA Tournament was in 1997, his second season
    His top players were Ray Weathers, Quinton Brooks and Jamie Feick
    He’s going to miss it this season
    That’s what happens when you make mistakes recruiting

3. tapintoamerica

tapintoamerica Well-Known Member

It’s hard to get a good game in that league. According to KenPom, Va was 12th in conference schedule strength on Sunday. Playing FSU jumped them to 7th overnight.

4. Della9250

Della9250 Well-Known Member

So Duke is going to keep the narrative going a bit longer huh?

5. Sam Mills 51

Sam Mills 51 Well-Known Member

How much of this is Duke improving?
    How much will be blamed on Jalen Johnson, that his "opting out" is addition by subtraction?
    How much of this is Virginia not being quite that good?

Not all surprised that Virginia lost in Tallahassee, but the margin did surprise me a little. But while Virginia isn't nearly as good as it was 2-3 years ago, are they not not even that good?

6. tapintoamerica

That was a helluva game tonight in Cameron. Both teams shot ≥ 50% from the floor. Clutch shot after clutch shot. As much crap as Virginia takes for being different and often dull, I can think of several ACC programs that would like to have enjoyed their success over the past eight years. A couple of them are in Trumpandemic-induced pauses now.

7. tapintoamerica

This is not encouraging. I still wonder how conference tournaments are going to happen.

upload_2021-2-21_15-38-3.png

8. heyabbott

heyabbott Well-Known Member

The last 3 minutes of Maryland Rutgers is taking 20 minutes and it’s a free throw shooting contest.

9. terrier

terrier Well-Known Member

Two smart places BC can go. But will they?

Bruce Pearl. He's an alum. Grew up nearby. Auburn is happy it decided he wasn't too toxic. And, as a Globe columnist put it, BC GOTTA win the press conference this time.

Ed Cooley. He was willing to listen to Michigan last year. Got a raise, but the Friars are having a tough year, and the fanbase is turning on him. In his hometown, no less. He's been an assistant at The Heights. But is his association with Skinner just as toxic to TPTB at BC as Pearl's NCAA issues?

10. dixiehack

dixiehack Well-Known Member

BC can’t and isn’t going to spend the kind of money it would take to get Pearl.

11. tapintoamerica

Exactly right. Nor should they. Is it worth it to get a little better if you cheat and caught? Not as far as I can tell.

Gonna be interesting to see what they do.

12. sgreenwell

sgreenwell Well-Known Member

Cooley seems like he's plateauing at PC - not sure why BC would be happy with him, especially since they weren't content with the now-great-in-hindsight success that Skinner was having there. I'm a mod at a URI message board though, so I might be biased on Cooley. Most of our board thinks Mark Schmidt would be a good hire, although he's not an especially sexy one. It isn't easy to win at St. Bonaventure though.

Draft saved Draft deleted