1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

2020-21 College Basketball thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by JayFarrar, Sep 22, 2020.

1. Sam Mills 51

Sam Mills 51 Well-Known Member

Yes and no.

Yes because it was so badly needed. Needed much better lightning, a refresh of most of the seats, for layers and endless layers of nicotine to be peeled off the ceiling, needed the superficial work. Also put in the Hall of Fame wing - fun, but not ridiculous ostentatious over over-the-top - and made the basketball part of the arena feel a little more intimate (if you had ever been in Reynolds before, an overwhelming amount of the seating was in the end zones ... truly a quirk). Also: Kay Yow Court, and Kay Yow means more to that campus than many will ever know.

No because of the seating capacity. Funny part is now the women's team might have been able to get more than 6,000 in there for some games, especially if the programs stays top five nationally and Chapel Hill and Duke climb back into the national picture (Duke plans to because it didn't hire Kara Lawson for funsies ... Chapel Hill keeps knocking off NCSU in spite of overall slippage. Courtney Banghart hasn't gotten the traction she needs - yet). Also, think a Louisville-NCSU matchup with no pandemic might be able to flip the turnstiles?

Positives grossly outweigh the negatives.

2. micropolitan guy

micropolitan guy Well-Known Member

Watched Georgetown last night at its tiny on-campus gym, it looked as if they were playing at Ft. Meade, like GWU did in the 1970s, or at Millhiser Gym, where I played intramurals at Three Chopt Tech, or at St. Christopher's or the old Franklin Street gym at VCU.

3. Shelbyville Manhattan

Shelbyville Manhattan Well-Known Member

Went to Dick Tarrant's summer basketball camp when I was a kid and played many times in Millhiser. That barn was an oven.

micropolitan guy likes this.
  4. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

5. micropolitan guy

micropolitan guy Well-Known Member

I watched a lot of the Detroit Mercy-Cleveland State game tonight, I actually like the Titans. Is it me or do more mid-major players have bad hair than P5 players? There were some ugly man buns and other awful doos on display.

Mike Davis only has one player from Michigan. I remember when Vitale and Perry Watson lived off kids from Southwestern and other city schools.

6. Jake from State Farm

Jake from State Farm Well-Known Member

Mike Davis’ son is their star player and he’s good
    Vitale had two guys — John Long and Terry Tyler — who had very good NBA careers

micropolitan guy likes this.
  7. Flip Wilson

Flip Wilson Well-Known Member

I kept the scorebook at a local high school holiday tournament for several years, and the same group of guys was the table crew for the entire tournament. So we started the unofficial "(My nickname)'s All-Hair Team." A player had to have outstanding hair -- good or bad -- to be named to this team. That activity got us through a lot of long days of watching hoops.

8. swingline

swingline Well-Known Member

Divorce Court, eh? To laugh, commiserate or gather pointers?

HappyCurmudgeon likes this.
  9. HappyCurmudgeon

HappyCurmudgeon Well-Known Member

Yes.

swingline likes this.
  10. dixiehack

dixiehack Well-Known Member

I don’t know when it became fashionable to let college teams “play it out” in halfcourt on the final possession of a tight game, but more often than not the coach should be calling a timeout instead

11. tapintoamerica

tapintoamerica Well-Known Member

I think the same thing is a trend on defense when the defensive team is leading by three. Not scientific, I think there are far fewer preemptive fouls committed this year than in previous years.

12. Neutral Corner

Neutral Corner Well-Known Member

It's high school, but...

sgreenwell likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted