1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

2020-21 College Basketball thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by JayFarrar, Sep 22, 2020.

1. Flip Wilson

Flip Wilson Well-Known Member

When I was an SID at a mid-major, we played at Memphis one night. When I saw one of the referees and Cal hug before the game, I knew it was going to be a long night for us, and it was.

2. Neutral Corner

Neutral Corner Well-Known Member

God, we hated Cal. C-USA refs are bad, but C-USA refs who are protecting the top ranked school in the conference are top of the septic tank horrible.

Flip Wilson likes this.
  3. Flip Wilson

Kansas State hit a way-beyond-half-court shot at the halftime buzzer against Baylor, but still ended up losing 107-59.

4. da man

da man Well-Known Member

Did he call glass?

5. Flip Wilson

Doubtful.

Kids these days....

6. Sam Mills 51

Sam Mills 51 Well-Known Member

Should have lost for wearing those lavender and purple uniforms. Woof.

Flip Wilson likes this.
  7. Neutral Corner

Neutral Corner Well-Known Member

NCAA Tournament Protocols:

Matt Norlander@MattNorlander

Earlier today the NCAA sent out its latest approved protocols and schedule to select high-ranking people across the membership about the 2021 NCAA Tournament, CBS Sports has learned. This is gonna have to be a thread, since there’s plenty of new information to disclose.

All NCAAT-qualifying teams within 350 miles of Indianapolis will be required to travel by charter bus. And in an effort to combat COVID-19 positives that could surface after arrival in Indianapolis, teams’ traveling parties will split up into three busses.

For teams flying, private airports (and private planes, as always) will be used. As I’ve previously reported, eating/ drinking while traveling via bus/plane is not allowed. Goggles + face shields will also be provided/suggested as extra measures. (Masks mandated, natch.)

Auto-bid teams determined prior to Saturday, March 13, will be asked to arrive in Indy on March 13. Teams earning auto bids early enough on Saturday afternoon/evening will immediately depart from their league championship, provided they can arrive in Indy later Saturday night.

I’m told all 31 auto bids will arrive in Indy Sat. or Sun. LATE Sunday and all-day-Monday departures will be reserved for the 37 at-large teams. Meaning even if a team is considered a lock, protocol is to not leave for Indy until the bracket reveal officially confirms inclusion.

The NCAA is asking teams with "high probability" of being selected as at-larges to stay in their conference tournament location between the end of their league tourney and the bracket reveal. (This would primarily only become tricky if, say, Gonzaga didn't get the auto bid.)

The Indiana Convention Center will have 12 practice courts. (Teams will also practice at NCAAT venues.) In a twist, coaches will not be allowed to scout next-round opponents; all scouting will be done via video, which the NCAA will supply to teams that make it to the next round.

The travel-party size capacity is 34 for all NCAAT teams. If you go to the NCAAT, you are Tier 1. As previously reported, you need seven straight negatives to be able to depart for Indy. Bands will not be allowed at the NCAAT through at least the E8; decisions on F4 not yet made.

Teams will only be allowed to eat in designated rooms at their hotels for the entirety of their stay in Indy. Every person will have their own hotel room. Obviously, no outside guests will be allowed—that is allowed into the hotel, period, that aren’t on a team or with the NCAA.

Here are the seating charts obtained by CBS Sports for mandated travel seating to the NCAA Tournament. The intent is to keep at least six feet of distance at all times to best reduce risk of transmission.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

8. Chef2

Chef2 Well-Known Member

What are the odds this gets postponed/cancelled?

9. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

After getting canceled last year and missing out on the massive paycheck, they'll do everything to get it in, no matter how much it's going to cost them.

BurnsWhenIPee and Neutral Corner like this.
  10. da man

da man Well-Known Member

What odds would you have given for the NFL to play every game in its season?

Like MileHigh said, it's going to happen.

11. Flip Wilson

Does the NCAA pick up the tab for travel? I spent five years as a mid-major SID at a non-football school, and we took a charter exactly one time, and it was a small enough plane that the travel party had to be pared down. (The SID -- me -- didn't make that trip.) Most mid-majors in our conference never flew by private plane either. Just wondering who pays for this.

12. micropolitan guy

micropolitan guy Well-Known Member

The NCAA covers expenses for a small traveling party. I think in basketball it used to be 75 people per team (team, coaches, trainers, administrators, and a small pep band).

In baseball, they often charter one plane for the West Coast, start at (for example) Cal State Fullerton and then fly up to Oregon and pick up Oregon State, then head to Omaha. At least that's how it's worked the last two times OSU was in the CWS.

Draft saved Draft deleted