1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

2020-21 College Basketball thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by JayFarrar, Sep 22, 2020.

1. Sam Mills 51

Sam Mills 51 Well-Known Member

Where is this coming from? Yes, NCSU is falling apart - failing to finish a game at Littlejohn against Clemson seemed to trigger the downturn this season - but conspiracies with the conference and the media? Really?

2. heyabbott

heyabbott Well-Known Member

If Krzyzewski actually felt that way he’s got enough clout to pull the plug on Duke. He could lead. But he didn’t. Boeheim and Izzo have the best undeserved reputations as men, not coaches. Great PR. Excellent college coaches but come on, they are about themselves and their program, first and last.

3. Sam Mills 51

We don't know what is going on behind the scenes. We also don't know if John Swofford and/or Mark Emmert said something to Mike Krzyzewski after the latter's comments questioning anyone playing during the pandemic.

Kim Mulkey referred to the "almighty dollar" the NCAA worships from Waco. She's correct, of course. But how many of them band together? Even if they do, will the NCAA wake up?

Sadly, no. The player collapsing to the floor in Tallahassee during the Florida-Florida State game a few weeks ago didn't trigger change. Someone will have to drop dead on the floor. I'm sorry to be so morbid, and I obviously hope it doesn't happen, but ...

4. LanceyHoward

LanceyHoward Well-Known Member

Izzo has a perhaps undeserved reputation as an upright guy. I think Boeheim's NCAA run-ins and some other things that have bubbled up during his tenure have lead many to conclude he is a jerk.

5. swingline

swingline Well-Known Member

Folks think Boeheim is an asshole — and a cheater.

6. tapintoamerica

tapintoamerica Well-Known Member

No. Not really. But in my years of covering the ACC, I heard this sort of thing said in frustration by many a Wolfpack fan. Letters, voice mails, etc.

7. tapintoamerica

tapintoamerica Well-Known Member

Georgia Tech is quite good by current ACC standards. Alvarado is the most experienced, game-tested PG you'll find on any Power 5 program these days. Moses Wright, after three years as a minor prophet, is delivering the law this year.
    Pastner seems on the verge of doing the impossible: surviving a hot seat heated by his own cheating and by several years of mediocrity.

8. heyabbott

Not the national media which fawns all over him.and if they say he’s an asshole privately but publicly treat him with reverence and respect it wouldn’t surprise me

9. heyabbott

If there is a tournament, chances that both Kentucky and Duke are not in it?

10. Sam Mills 51

Ignore them. And you know better than that.

Until NCSU starts worrying about itself, until it stops worrying about what the other blue schools in the Triangle are doing and until they realize that playing winning basketball is about beating just about everyone and not just about Duke and Chapel Hill, nothing will change.

Jim Valvano was allowing too many slipshod kids after winning it all in '83. Les Robinson did as well as could be expected and got them through a true mess, setting the standard in which the school closed academic loopholes to stop allowing more Chris Washburns and Charles Shacklefords in.

Herb Sendek was getting it done, but the idiots within the Wolfpack Club and elsewhere never made him feel at home, which was and still is a massive mistake.

Sidney Lowe is a pretty decent basketball coach, but was an NBA guy and was also a fallback who tried to help out his alma mater. Actually did deliver some nice recruits ...

... which Mark Gottfried didn't use as well as he should. Then the team quit on him and then there's the mess with Dennis Smith Jr.

And now Kevin Keatts, who predictably is getting slaughtered in the Red Polyester Court of Public Opinion because he couldn't follow up the win at ESA vs. Chapel Hill with another one at the Dean Dome. Needs some more consistency with the on-court product, but it's not too far gone. Not by a long shot.

I like and respect Keatts. But I do not and will not judge coaches strictly by their record against the other Triangle schools. Think bigger picture, NCSU fans. Then support the coach. Remember Sendek? Never treat anyone that horribly again.

tapintoamerica and maumann like this.
  11. Mngwa

Mngwa Well-Known Member

Herb Sendak was the brainiest coach I ever met. Did a long sit down with him one day at Miami. He was kind of dazzling in a low key way, the way he approached questions. No idea if that changed over the years.

maumann likes this.
  12. micropolitan guy

micropolitan guy Well-Known Member

He was always very approachable when he was at ASU. Unlike the 12-year-old who coaches there now.

Mngwa likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted