1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

2020-21 CFB Coaching Carousel

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by TigerVols, Jul 18, 2020.

1. HappyCurmudgeon

HappyCurmudgeon Well-Known Member

I think it's Urban and I think they will offer too much cash for him to turn down. Someone reported yesterday that James Franklin would be No. 2 option, but I don't see that. I think Dan Mullen would be someone they would take a hard look at though. Brian Kelly? It's going to be a top-end guy. If they can't get their tippy top guys than maybe there's a spot for a Matt Campbell?

2. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

I've never quite understood what the problem is at Texas. They get top 20 talent. Is it one of those places where the players just get comfortable "being there."
    PS - I also have to think as much as the struggles have hurt Herman's prospects, TexAMs rise only makes it worse.

3. HanSenSE

HanSenSE Well-Known Member

So you're saying the Longhorns should train in Junction?

4. exmediahack

exmediahack Well-Known Member

I don’t think Campbell will go to Texas. Strongly doubt he would leave Iowa State for a conference rival.

Lots of other options, though. Michigan, Auburn, Penn State, USC possibly. And there’s always one surprise opening (like Washington last year).

5. exmediahack

exmediahack Well-Known Member

South Carolina definitely went against brand. They usually go for someone else’s coach, either recently fired or about a decade past their prime.

Surprised they didn’t hire Lloyd Carr or John Cooper.

6. Cosmo

Cosmo Well-Known Member

I don't think Shane Beamer could be the coach at Virginia Tech without any previous head coaching experience. The pressure to succeed there -- especially in light of Fuente's struggles -- would be too great. Couldn't see Shane taking that as his first head coaching gig. If he shows a moderate level of success in Columbia -- 8-9 wins, trips to the Outback or whatever the better Orlando Bowl is called now -- I can see him ending up in Blacksburg by the time he's 50. Though the jury is out on whether or not Tech is a better job than Cocky to begin with.

Tech is in a really rough spot right now. That job has been in steady decline since about 2012. The athletic department is struggling financially and the grassroot donor support that exists at a lot of schools just isn't there amongst Tech alumni. Really tough time to be asking people to contribute to a buyout fund, what with a global pandemic raging. Hokies fans will demand some sort of big name, and Whit just isn't going to have the financial leverage to get that done. I see Will Healy's name being bandied about, but that's a large step up from Charlotte to VT.

Last edited: Dec 7, 2020
  7. Jake from State Farm

Jake from State Farm Well-Known Member

Nothing official but plenty of reports Harbaugh is getting, or already has received, a three-year extension

8. Neutral Corner

Neutral Corner Well-Known Member

I'm sure that will be very popular with the Michigan fans. Maybe they should talk to Auburn's AD first.

Wenders likes this.
  9. Jake from State Farm

Jake from State Farm Well-Known Member

10. LanceyHoward

LanceyHoward Well-Known Member

If Texas wants Campbell I think he goes there. I think they can offer more money than anyone else. And outside of USC which of those jobs is better than Texas?

11. TigerVols

TigerVols Well-Known Member

USC won't be open this year anyhoo

12. Neutral Corner

Neutral Corner Well-Known Member

Very few as long as you are winning, and few grind you down worse the second things go astray. Alabama's worse. I can't think of many others as bad as Texas.

Draft saved Draft deleted