1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

2020-21 Baseball Offseason Thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by 2muchcoffeeman, Oct 28, 2020.

1. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

Could go on a number of pages but since it was on Stirrups Now!'s Twitter page ...

Stirrups Now!
    @uniformcritic

1958: Backstage at the TV show “Dancing, a Man’s Game.”

[​IMG]

2. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

No monkey suit involved this time:

3. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

I think Theo should GM the Clippers. They'd win a title within 3 years.

sgreenwell likes this.
  4. bumpy mcgee

bumpy mcgee Well-Known Member

Ricketts family must be pissed. They spent a fuckton of money to lose to the Miami Marlins and Joe Biden in the last two months.

5. 2muchcoffeeman

2muchcoffeeman Well-Known Member

Fangraphs’ Jon Tayler on Theo’s departure and the Cubs’ future:

If nothing else, the talent on hand remains strong (assuming it remains), but the problem in Chicago is twofold. First is figuring out why this particular team is less than the sum of its parts, and why its most important players — namely Báez and Bryant — struggled so badly in 2020. Second is the fact that ownership has displayed no real interest in spending what it takes to make the Cubs better. Since handing Darvish a $126 million contract ahead of the 2018 season, the money faucet has turned off. Despite a need for one or both, Chicago sat out the Manny Machadoand Bryce Harper sweepstakes; the team’s lone major league signing that offseason was Daniel Descalso. Last winter was more of the same, as the Cubs tinkered around the margins with reclamation projects like Jeremy Jeffress and Jason Kipnis instead of splashing around in the deep end of the free-agent pool.

It’s a bizarre mindset for a franchise and ownership group each worth billions, but the Ricketts family is apparently more content to throw its dollars at political campaigns and PACs than at the lineup or bullpen. (The Ricketts have spent plenty on improvements to Wrigley Field and on surrounding real estate ventures, but that has as much to do with increasing the value of the team and the stadium and thus netting more money from its fans as it does with the players on the field, and even there they’ve complained loudly about the local government not chipping in more.) Like every other club, the Cubs have embraced fully the desire to avoid the luxury tax and to shrink payroll, and the pandemic’s economic after-effects will only lead to a further tightening of the belt. At a time when the team should be spending the money it has to lock up its homegrown stars and try to extend its contention cycle with impact free agents, you can bet that the Ricketts will once again cry poverty. That puts a hard cap on just how much Chicago can improve or avoid falling apart, and sets the stage instead for retrenchment both financially and in the standings.
    As Theo Epstein Departs, What Will Become of the Cubs?

6. 2muchcoffeeman

2muchcoffeeman Well-Known Member

7. Regan MacNeil

Regan MacNeil Well-Known Member

8. Webster

Webster Well-Known Member

If it were cocaine, John Sterling would have a new HR call: “Robbie Cano. Got caught with blow!”

9. Della9250

Della9250 Well-Known Member

Well that really ends his hall of fame chances

10. micropolitan guy

micropolitan guy Well-Known Member

As my son says, he could have still sucked without PEDs and still made $24 million.

Last edited: Nov 18, 2020
    bigpern23 likes this.
  11. Chef2

Chef2 Well-Known Member

His homerun totals the last 3 seasons.....10 in 20, 13 in 19, 10 in 18.
    I'd be getting a refund on my PED's if I were him.

2muchcoffeeman likes this.
  12. Guy_Incognito

Guy_Incognito Well-Known Member

That was my first thought. My second is that everyone involved with the Mets organization is thrilled.

Draft saved Draft deleted