1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

2020-21 Baseball Offseason Thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by 2muchcoffeeman, Oct 28, 2020.

1. 2muchcoffeeman

2muchcoffeeman Well-Known Member

Your 2020 NL MVP was praying he’d survive COVID-19 in July. Congratulations to Fab 5 Freddie Freeman, now a first-ballot lock for the Canadian Baseball Hall of Fame.

2. Jake from State Farm

Jake from State Farm Well-Known Member

3. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

At first I was figuring she'd be fourth or fifth in line when it came to making baseball decisions - but as far as I can tell, she's a direct report to Jeter. Some teams have four or five "GMs" President of baseball ops, vp baseball opps, senior vp etc... - heard Pabst on the Patrick show pronounce her name as AINGE - it's prounounced "Ing"

4. qtlaw

qtlaw Well-Known Member

I, as an Asian American, cannot be happier for Ms. Ng. Its not about the color of her skin or heritage, its about overcoming the perception that you're different and being judged purely on the merits of your work. Does discrimination occur every time? No.
    Whereas those in the majority get judged purely on the merits of their work 100% of the time, minorities don't have the same batting average. Thus its more encouraging every time a breakthrough occurs.

maumann, HanSenSE, TigerVols and 4 others like this.
  5. UPChip

UPChip Well-Known Member

Came to this thread for the Ng takes (Good for her. Good for the Marlins) but can't get over how charitable Torre's HOF plaque is to one of the ugliest players of his day.

6. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

I don't remember the player's name from Ball Four but Boutin said his girlfriend looked like Joe Torre with tits.

Worst insult of a woman I've ever heard.

UPChip likes this.
  7. mpcincal

mpcincal Well-Known Member

Was pleasantly surprised to see Ng's hiring today. I remember reading stories on her about 10-15 years ago saying she was a good bet to be the first female GM if one was ever hired. Glad to see that came to fruition.

8. Jake from State Farm

Jake from State Farm Well-Known Member

9. Songbird

Hit and Run ...

10. maumann

maumann Well-Known Member

She doesn't want the world, just your half. And any excuse to post TMBG.

11. Songbird

At first you think, Holy Shit Speaker and Cobb on the same team!

Then you go look and see that in 1928 they were 41 and 40 years old.

maumann likes this.
  12. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

Looking it up on BaseballReference, Cobb hit .323 in 95 games that season. Speaker hit .267 in 60-something games and Collins hit .303 in 36 ABs.

Still solid contributors to a team that finished in second 2 1/2 games behind the Yankees.m

They also had 44-year-old Jack Quinn, who who won 18 games that year.

maumann likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted