1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

2020-21 Baseball Offseason Thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by 2muchcoffeeman, Oct 28, 2020.

1. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

Moncada wasn't just any prospect. He was arguably the top prospect in the game when the White Sox traded for him.

White Sox get Moncada, 3 others for Sale

Jimenez was the top prospect in the Cubs' system when the White Sox got him for Quintana.

All prospects are not equal. It wasn't a surprise to people who know the top prospects in the game to see Moncada and Jimenez turn out to be good major leaguers.

2. heyabbott

heyabbott Well-Known Member

Nats sign Brad Hand 1y 10.5m
    That fills out the bullpen. Still need an alternative at 3B but a good offseason for the Nats.

3. MTM

MTM Well-Known Member

Any team could have had Hand on waivers for $10 million. Free market got him an extra $500k and let him choose where he wanted to go. Good for him.

4. UPChip

UPChip Well-Known Member

I believe this voter was attempting to vote for the Asshole Hall of Fame not the Baseball Hall of Fame.

lakefront likes this.
  5. Splendid Splinter

Splendid Splinter Well-Known Member

Liriano was in 2016, but beside the point.

6. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

7. TigerVols

TigerVols Well-Known Member

Brad will pitch on his time.

2muchcoffeeman and heyabbott like this.
  8. qtlaw

qtlaw Well-Known Member

But at least they didn't trade away the rights to one of the best uniforms in major sports, or one of the sweetest sports venues!

9. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

If Bob Nutting could find a way to sell either of them, he would.

2muchcoffeeman likes this.
  10. bigpern23

bigpern23 Well-Known Member

I’m too lazy to look it up, but I’m curious what the sum of the AAV for their contracts would be for 2021.

11. bigpern23

bigpern23 Well-Known Member

Ok, I looked it up ... $97.15M in 2021 for that group. If they filled out the 25-man roster with league minimum contracts, they’d have a payroll of $105.6M, ranked 17th in MLB ... and they would still suck. If they filled it out with players making the league average $4.43M, their salary would be $163.6M, ranked fourth in MLB ... and they would still suck.

12. qtlaw

qtlaw Well-Known Member

I've got that Washington McCovey card!! Fun times.

Draft saved Draft deleted