1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

2020-21 Baseball Offseason Thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by 2muchcoffeeman, Oct 28, 2020.

1. micropolitan guy

micropolitan guy Well-Known Member

A batter good enough to be considered for MVP honors is much more than a small part of every game.

2. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

Josh Bell from Pirates to Nats for two minor-league pitchers.

3. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

Merry Christmas, Pirate fans!

4. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

Enter anti-Pirates rant in 3 ... 2 ...

bigpern23 likes this.
  5. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

What I've read about the better of the prospects, Will Crowe, is that his upside is back of the rotation starting pitcher. That sure makes this sound like the Pirates dumping salary yet again even though Bell wasn't really expensive. They sold off one of their few decent hitters rather than go to arbitration. I have no sympathy for people who still root for that team. The owner has been violating their trust for about 20 years now, so anybody foolish enough to invest emotionally in that team at this point deserves what they get. Yes, I know Nutting officially became the principal owner of the franchise in 2007, but he had control before that. This isn't to say Kevin McClatchy was any better. The constant penny-pinching in service to keeping the profit margin high just stinks a little more when it is a guy with Nutting's wealth doing it.

6. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

7. Sea Bass

Sea Bass Well-Known Member

Perhaps, perhaps not. I was mainly countering your point that pitchers don’t help their teams on off-days. I think what Koufax did that year helped his teams on off-days a whole lot.

8. JC

JC Well-Known Member

There’s an argument to helping by saving the bullpen, that’s not the argument he was making.

9. 2muchcoffeeman

2muchcoffeeman Well-Known Member

Too late for the front.

The is the Padres’ best chance at a no-hitter in franchise history.

10. 2muchcoffeeman

It occurs to me that the Padres suddenly will be very deep in the rotation for the next few years. Maybe deep in the pen, too.

11. Scout

Scout Well-Known Member

Best chance at a WS.

12. 2muchcoffeeman

Draft saved Draft deleted