1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

2020-21 Baseball Offseason Thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by 2muchcoffeeman, Oct 28, 2020.

1. MTM

MTM Well-Known Member

MLB, union debate whether to delay start of 2021 season (usatoday.com)

Major League Baseball executives and owners, wanting players to be vaccinated before arriving to spring training, would like the 2021 season to be delayed until May, even if it means shortening the season to 140 or fewer games.

The Major League Baseball Players Association, believing it proved a year ago that teams can safely adapt to protocols, wants the season to start on time, playing all 162 games with full pay.

And here we are, with just two months before pitchers and catchers are scheduled to report for spring training, and no one has any idea what will happen.

maumann likes this.
  2. maumann

maumann Well-Known Member

$omething about having no fan$ in the $tand$ probably keep$ the owner$ from $aying ye$ to that $cenario.

HanSenSE and MTM like this.
  3. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

4. Splendid Splinter

Splendid Splinter Well-Known Member

Just tremendous news.

maumann and bigpern23 like this.
  5. MTM

MTM Well-Known Member

I don’t like it. Messes with lineup construction

6. maumann

maumann Well-Known Member

Long overdue, even if formal records and statistics are sketchy at best. These were the best players not allowed to showcase their talents in the major leagues because of race, not because of ability. The Negro Leagues are far more deserving of the designation than say, the Federal League.

I wish Buck Leonard had lived to see this happen.

Last edited: Dec 16, 2020
    HanSenSE and Splendid Splinter like this.
  7. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

Had a ton of his cards but never saw a clip of Ross Grimsley pitching till now.

8. mpcincal

mpcincal Well-Known Member

Howie Kendrick announces his retirement

2019 playoff hero Kendrick calls it a career

Being an Angels fan, I always liked him when he was with the Halos. He didn't quite reach the lofty expectations some people had for him, but he was a solid player and seemingly a really cool dude. I was super happy for him for getting time in the postseason spotlight, in 2019, especially killing the Dodgers with that Game 5 NLDS grand slam.

MileHigh likes this.
  9. 2muchcoffeeman

2muchcoffeeman Well-Known Member

10. Splendid Splinter

Splendid Splinter Well-Known Member

I missed this last week.

11. Chef2

Chef2 Well-Known Member

Vombatus likes this.
  12. Regan MacNeil

Regan MacNeil Well-Known Member

Was there a point where you asked yourself whether you should post a domestic violence joke or did you just charge ahead without thinking about it?

Draft saved Draft deleted