1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

2020-2021 NBA Regular Season thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Splendid Splinter, Dec 15, 2020.

1. poindexter

poindexter Well-Known Member

Those Hawks highlights from last night were hilarious. Between Dalinari and Young, I have never seen so many made 30+ footers.

2. DanielSimpsonDay

DanielSimpsonDay Well-Known Member

What. The. Fuck.

3. Cosmo

Cosmo Well-Known Member

Watched that live (and won a nice little mid-game bet on Wiz/under) and I still don't know what happened.

4. PCLoadLetter

PCLoadLetter Well-Known Member

The best part is Murray covering his face in shame as the shot misses badly.

That was incompetent on so many levels.

5. poindexter

I've said for years that today's NBA is superior to any other era in every way possible, except fast breaks.

Guys are just conditioned to head to the 3 line. They lacked situational awareness there.

6. Webster

Webster Well-Known Member

The player who ran to the corner obviously should have gone to the hoop but they had an open 3 to win the game.

7. PCLoadLetter

If you have a choice between an uncontested layup to force overtime against the Wizards or a 3 to try to win, you take the layup every single time.

To cap it off Murray's pass was absolutely horrendous. It was a stupid idea, terribly executed.

8. poindexter

They had a guaranteed layup (and possible and one) to go to overtime at home against an inferior opponent.
    Murray should have never stopped at the 3 line with the ball.

9. Webster

Why? He forces the defender to make a choice and the defender comes out at him. As I said, the player who goes to the corner made a big mistake by not being aware of the situation/floor balance and should have cut to the hoop. But Murray had a wide open pass for a spot up 3. Execution was certainly poor but it’s not some sort of awful decision by him.

10. PCLoadLetter

Because you don't want the wide open spot up 3 in that spot. It's the wrong decision.

If Jamal Murray drives to the hope he has a layup and maybe a foul... or, he passes off to a teammate for an uncontested layup. He needs to be smarter in that situation.

11. sgreenwell

sgreenwell Well-Known Member

The clock situation probably adds some "panic" not there in a typical situation as well, and you can also argue that if the defender is decent at all, he probably hacks a guy with the ball the second the offensive player gets within the 3-point line - make 'em earn it at the line. In isolation, a wide-open 3 to win can be defensible vs. a layup to tie. But in execution, Denver just looked lost. Watching the clip reminded me of one of those really random park pick-up games, where nobody knows each other, and thus they're all running to different spots on a fastbreak and one defender isn't as helpless as he seems. Which, you know, obviously isn't what you want when you're a pro basketball team.

12. Webster

Who is the player he is passing to for the uncontested layup?

Draft saved Draft deleted