1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

2020-2021 NBA Regular Season thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Splendid Splinter, Dec 15, 2020.

1. Regan MacNeil

Regan MacNeil Well-Known Member

Don’t forget the pick swaps.

PCLoadLetter likes this.
  2. qtlaw

qtlaw Well-Known Member

Man I just don't see the patience by the Nets. Give [the current team] a chance. They had all the parts, Durant/Irving, Harris the sharpshooter, the microwave off the bench (LaVert), strong middle presence Jordan/Allen, others with above average skills (Shamet/Prince), even without Dinwiddie. Now its Big 3, Harris, Jordan and .........Shamet? I thought Marks was a patient guy, but maybe he just wanted to be Morey, accumulate, accumulate, pounce.

Oh well, if the Nets win, good for them.

3. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

They just need Mike Gminski to grab 8-10 rebounds a game and they'll be fine.

4. Regan MacNeil

Regan MacNeil Well-Known Member

Is Paul Mokeski available?

5. PCLoadLetter

PCLoadLetter Well-Known Member

Worth noting: Durant and Harden are only tied down contractually for another year and a half.

I will not be surprised if Durant bolts. He should.

JC likes this.
  6. Cosmo

Cosmo Well-Known Member

Weird but fun fact: One of my coworkers is Dante Exum's aunt.

7. goalmouth

goalmouth Well-Known Member

I'm a Nets fan but what they've done is one big reason the NBA sucks.

8. sgreenwell

sgreenwell Well-Known Member

It's a kind of weird fit in Brooklyn for Harden. He and Irving are both iso or on-ball offensive options, and while Durant can play off the ball, he's the most efficient of the three. I think they'll figure it out on offense, though. On defense? Irving and especially Harden don't have great reputations on that end. Maybe if Harden isn't the sole focus of the offense, he'll try more consistently on defense.

9. Webster

Webster Well-Known Member

I will say this, in the one and done era (which is going to be zero and done in the next CBA) draft picks are much more of a crap shoot. Obviously, the very best of the best are probably known, but having say the no. 10 pick which you are going to use on an 18 year old is no guarantee of finding a useful player.

10. sgreenwell

sgreenwell Well-Known Member

FWIW, over time it turned out that drafting a HS player was better on average than a non-HS player. People just remembered the busts way more.

The thing about these trades that the Clippers and now the Nets have done where they basically give up their draft for six to 10 years is that they carry substantial risk of having a Top 3 or a Top 5 pick in them at some point, never mind a pick in the lottery. In six years, Irving will be the youngest of their current big three, and he'll be 35. Harden and Durant will be around 38, depending on when you evaluate the deal. Both Irving and Durant have not incredible health records.

11. Webster

Webster Well-Known Member

I think it’s a trade for the next 3 years max.

12. poindexter

poindexter Well-Known Member

I was a huge fan of the Bubble NBA. Huge fan. Multiple games a day, good basketball. It rekindled an interest in the NBA that I hadn't had for decades.

I am also not a "we need the fans" guy. Bubble was great. Golf is 10x better without those Mashed Potato idiots. I think the NFL is still great fanless.

But man, the NBA in these big arenas, with huge tarps and empty caverns... its just sad.

Draft saved Draft deleted