1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

2019 Running Tennis thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by John B. Foster, Jan 10, 2019.

1. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

Until the 90s, nobody (other than Australians) wanted to play Australia. Facilities were low-rent, and it was held around Christmas. Then came Flinders Park, a switch to mid-January, and now everyone goes there. That's good for several of the Big 3's major titles.

Connors played it twice, won it (1974) and was runner-up (1975). Skipped it 19 times. Borg played it once.

2. Twirling Time

Twirling Time Well-Known Member

The Big 4 is rapidly dwindling. Murray has retired, Nadal and Federer are hanging on, and that leaves Djoker, who is 32, to be dominant for the next 3 years. Who's the next foil? Wawrinka was a late bloomer and his window has come and gone.

3. Elliotte Friedman

Elliotte Friedman Moderator Staff Member

Federer looks like hes doing a lot more than hanging on

Cosmo and Michael_ Gee like this.
  4. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

Murray was very good, certainly, but other than a couple of brief spurts was he ever on the same level as those other three? He always struck me more as an Andy Roddick type -- a contender, a guy who could win some big tournaments and even a few Grand Slams, but never as consistently great as Federer, Nadal and Djokovic.

5. poindexter

poindexter Well-Known Member

I think I heard that there isnt one mens major winner under 30 years old.

That is incredible.

6. Cosmo

Cosmo Well-Known Member

You are correct. Roddick won ONE grand slam title. He doesn't deserve to be farted in the same air as those other three you've mentioned.

7. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

Few players do. They've lapped the field.
    Another amazing stat: Federer (Wimbledon), Nadal (French Open) and Djokovic (Australian Open) each hold the record for most titles at one of the grand slams. And Federer is tied with Pete Sampras and Jimmy Connors for most U.S. Open titles in the open era. Three old-timers won it seven times apiece, so he probably won't break that record but he might get the modern record.

8. typefitter

typefitter Well-Known Member

9. heyabbott

heyabbott Well-Known Member

He can take players apart with surgical ruthlessness, as he did against poor David Goffin in the Wimbledon quarterfinals Wednesday; he won the second set of that match 6-0, and it didn’t feel that close.

10. Cosmo

Cosmo Well-Known Member

I misread your post, by the way, and should note that Murray won three Grand Slam titles. Still not in the same stratosphere. Roddick is someone I rooted for heavily but never really could break through against the big guns.

11. typefitter

typefitter Well-Known Member

Exactly. He could have written something like, "Djokovic destroyed David Goffin in the quarters, even shutting him out, 6-0, in the second match. " That's the same message. But it couldn't be delivered more differently. The word that comes to my mind when I read Phillips is: elegant.

12. heyabbott

heyabbott Well-Known Member

Djokovic became the first man to win Wimbledon after facing match points since Bob Falkenburg in 1948.

Draft saved Draft deleted