1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

2019 Running Tennis thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by John B. Foster, Jan 10, 2019.

1. Webster

Webster Well-Known Member

Those last 2 games were fucking insane.

2. swingline

swingline Well-Known Member

I don't watch a lot of tennis, but in Federer's last two matches it seemed like he hit a lot of his backhands into the net. He showed great mental fortitude to not fold after Nadal shellacked him in the second set, but I don't see him beating the Joker.

3. heyabbott

heyabbott Well-Known Member

Gutsy 1st set performance by Serena who overcame a heart attack during the first point and a broken leg during the second point. I couldn’t quite make it out but I do believe Serena delivered twins during the change of sides between the 6th and 7th game.

4. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

The way she's playing, I think all of that is true.

5. heyabbott

For the love of G-d why are the officials refusing to let Serena have strings in her racket? Must be because she’s a woman.

6. MileHigh

And smoked off Centre Court in less than an hour.

7. Cosmo

Cosmo Well-Known Member

That was fucking brilliant. Halep absolutely broke Serena with her court coverage. You could see it in her eyes at the end. Bravo, Simona.

8. MileHigh

Halep was all over the place. An incredible performance.

9. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

A 26-3 stat line in unforced errors indicates somebody dominated the hell out of this match.

Last edited: Jul 13, 2019
  10. qtlaw

qtlaw Well-Known Member

Finally, a changing of the guard. Serena was a great champion but her time is up. Halep was so good Serena couldn’t hurt her. Glad to see that Halep is no longer the one “who couldn’t close a major”.

11. heyabbott

The first sentence in The NY Times, Washington Post and ESPN had Serena Williams mentioned before Halep. THe story is that Williams failed to win her 24th, not that Halep thoroughly won Wimbledon in under an hour.

12. Tarheel316

Tarheel316 Well-Known Member

Agreed. I don’t think Serena wins another major.

Draft saved Draft deleted