1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

2019 Running Atlantic Hurricane Season Thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Driftwood, May 20, 2019.

1. Driftwood

Driftwood Well-Known Member

Yeah, it really wasn't until the last 50 years or so you got much warning before one hit, never mind where one began before they even started naming them.

2. tapintoamerica

tapintoamerica Well-Known Member

Weather warning systems — particularly those warning about tornadoes— have improved considerably in recent years. Now Trump wants to slash budgets for NOAA, etc.
    If it’s scientific, it’s endangered.

Driftwood likes this.
  3. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

If you are interested in reading about early hurricane detection, can't recommend the book Isaac's Storm enough. It's Erik Larson's account of the Galveston hurricane of 1900.

FileNotFound likes this.
  4. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

Thanks for the recommendation. Just looked at a synopsis and found this talking about preparations for the storm:

Never change, America.

5. BitterYoungMatador2

BitterYoungMatador2 Well-Known Member

Looks like it hasn’t.

6. Driftwood

Another good read is pretty much anything on Hazel. When it hit North Carolina in 1954, those folks had very little prior warning.
    The 1935 Labor Day Storm is also very interesting.

7. Driftwood

NOAA does a good job, and I agree. Let's please don't get the hurricane thread in trouble for politics, though.

8. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

Why do hurricanes hate red states? Discuss.

9. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

10. tapintoamerica

I know The Weather Channel is based in Atlanta, but how can you get this wrong if your only duty is to cover the weather?

11. Driftwood

My wife and I have actually seen a national TV talking head leaning into an imaginary wind in Wilmington. We drove by. I rolled my window down and laughed at him. I don't have the slightest clue as to who it was. I don't even really remember which storm it was. I want to say it was Floyd but wouldn't swear to it.

12. tapintoamerica

Draft saved Draft deleted