1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

2019 Running Atlantic Hurricane Season Thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Driftwood, May 20, 2019.

1. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

jlee likes this.
  2. HanSenSE

HanSenSE Well-Known Member

maumann likes this.
  3. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

Unless there is rioting in the streets in NY, I have no idea why CNN is going with blackout coverage. Jeff Zucker has terrible news instincts.

maumann likes this.
  4. HanSenSE

HanSenSE Well-Known Member

That's kind of the hell of it. CNN used to OWN stories like this. There were people in the Supuerdome during Katrina calling them to tell them what was going on. Anderson Cooper launched into a prime time show for his work. Now, they can't tell a story without making it red vs. blue. Kind of like how ESPN has moved from highlights to "LeBron bought a gallon of milk and a dozen eggs at Von's tonight, and here's Screamin' A. to talk about it."

5. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

75k without power on Manhattan v. 100k without power and flooding in New Orleans. We get it - it's cheaper to cover stuff happening outside your window, but it is a terrible look.

6. Twirling Time

Twirling Time Well-Known Member

CNN couldn’t even cover a tornado that hit its Atlanta HQ.

Inky_Wretch and maumann like this.
  7. Driftwood

Driftwood Well-Known Member

I keep my coverage tuned into Weather Channel and other weather-dedicated outlets, not national news agencies. Weather Channel does have its flaws because it is a 24-hour news station. It has time to fill, so things are pretty repetitive.

Inky_Wretch likes this.
  8. Scout

Scout Well-Known Member

I don’t know why anyone still listens to CNN. It’s just as bad as Fox.

9. Scout

Scout Well-Known Member

My question is that this formed in the Gulf. This shit normally forms over Africa and rolls across the Atlantic.

10. Driftwood

Driftwood Well-Known Member

That's why the wind speeds only hit official hurricane strength for an hour or two. It didn't have time to build into a major storm.
    You'll have Gulf only storms pop up, but it's not usual. You are right that they build up off Cape Verde most of the time.

11. RecoveringDesker

RecoveringDesker Active Member

At this time of year, the typical Atlantic hurricane forms in the western Atlantic/Gulf. The big ones that come off the coast of Africa are more typical later in the season.

12. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Now, I would love an explanation for how someone knows where a storm in 1851 originated.

Last edited: Jul 14, 2019
Draft saved Draft deleted