1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

2019 Running Atlantic Hurricane Season Thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Driftwood, May 20, 2019.

1. Cosmo

Cosmo Well-Known Member

We've already had a few days of 95-96 degree heat in central Virginia, which is not unusual for July but somewhat unusual for May. Was at an outdoor concert last night when a hellacious storm ripped through. My neighborhood was spared heavy damage but some places around town got crushed.

2. Driftwood

Driftwood Well-Known Member

3. Driftwood

A seemingly minor storm, which could be our first hurricane, might be significant.

4. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

They had a pretty bad rainstorm and flash flooding down there this morning. Drains backed up and a lot of places in the city had bad street flooding. Canal Street was an actual canal at one point.

5. Twirling Time

Twirling Time Well-Known Member

Looking at the list of this year's names, I dread the next one on the list, Chantal. That sounds like an ass-kicker of a hurricane.

6. Twirling Time

Twirling Time Well-Known Member

We need this thing to go a lot farther west, or better still to cut hard east and miss NOLA. Wind speed almost doesn't matter; even as a borderline Cat 1 or a strong tropical storm the storm surge is going to play hell with the river levees. If any one of them goes, Cancer Alley is getting an enema.

7. Driftwood

I just told my wife she'd better fill up her car today. With the direction of this thing, gas prices are about to spike.

8. Driftwood

9. Driftwood

Barry didn't last long as a Cat 1 hurricane, but the flooding is going to be around a while.

10. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

With all the floodwater from the mid-South and Midwest, NOLA might be underwater for weeks.

11. Driftwood

Yeah, that's the thing... the rain doesn't have to fall directly on NOLA. Wherever it falls in the Mississippi watershed, it's going to wind up in the Big Easy.

12. Jake from State Farm

Jake from State Farm Well-Known Member

We have a rip tide advisory on Clearwater Beach because of Barry

Draft saved Draft deleted