1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

2019 Running Atlantic Hurricane Season Thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Driftwood, May 20, 2019.

1. Driftwood

Driftwood Well-Known Member

They all need to stay away for the at least the next three weeks. That's when I'm headed back to the island to do a little fishing. I just a new reel yesterday, and I won't be pleased if I have to wait until December to try it out!

maumann likes this.
  2. Driftwood

Humberto just won't give it up. It's Cat 3 major hurricane but thankfully is nowhere near land, and it looks like it will stay out to sea. Surely before long it will hit cooler water and lose fuel.

3. Neutral Corner

Neutral Corner Well-Known Member

East Texas. I suspect that the dump truck is doing high water evacuations.

4. Driftwood

Latest estimates put 40 inches of rainfall in Texas.
    I saw the dump truck, too, and first thought it was washing away, then I came to the conclusion that it must be driving around to help.

5. Neutral Corner

We have friends who are supposed to take a cruise from North Carolina to Bermuda this weekend.

Or were supposed to, I strongly suspect.

6. Driftwood

I track things like this pretty closely, and got to thinking today about the dates of storms and where we are in the hurricane season. This is just for North Carolina:
    We've had 12 major hurricanes directly hit the state; eight of those have been in September and October. The last was Fran in 1996.
    Since 2000, 32 storms have hit in the months of September and October.

In other words, there is still a whole lot of storm season to go.

maumann likes this.
  7. Driftwood

Jerry makes No. 4.

8. maumann

maumann Well-Known Member

Even though the season runs from June 1 to November 30, it peaks sharply around Sept. 10, according to the NHC. This month is when ocean temps are their greatest, plus the currents that bring storms from the coast of Africa is at its strongest.

When Are Hurricanes Most Active?

And yes, speaking in the most general terms, early-season hurricanes most often wind up in the Gulf, while late-season hurricanes are more likely to come up the Atlantic side. But hurricanes are like honey badgers. They don't care.

Last edited: Sep 19, 2019
    Batman and Driftwood like this.
  9. Neutral Corner

There are six cyclonic storms at once. Two more in the Pacific. This has happened once before.

10. Driftwood

11. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

I give a lot of credit to the kids doing the climate strike - I'd give a bit more if they didn't work out deals with the district to make sure they didn't get marked down as cutting.

12. maumann

maumann Well-Known Member

Jerry now has its eye on Bermuda. The one that concerns me is the one that hasn't even gotten off the coast of Africa and already looks nasty, according to the five-day outlook. Ye Gods.

Draft saved Draft deleted