1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

2019 Pro Wrestling thread

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Baron Scicluna, Jan 1, 2019.

1. nietsroob17

nietsroob17 Well-Known Member

Wouldn't it have been something if Drew McIntyre had given one of Kofi's boys a Claymore kick?

2. JimmyHoward33

JimmyHoward33 Well-Known Member

No Daniel Bryan? Hes gotta be going to Raw then?

3. nietsroob17

I don't think necessarily. They may have just given him the day off like Roman did (aside from his bit after the show). Bryan had been going pretty much non-stop over the last year since his comeback.

4. JRoyal

JRoyal Well-Known Member

I agree with this. He might be moving, but I think they more likely decided to give him the night off and let this be Kofi's night.

5. John B. Foster

John B. Foster Well-Known Member

My sources tell me that he was actually with Dr. Shelby. Bryan had a breakdown after losing the title to Kofi. From what I gather, Kane was not present.

6. JimmyHoward33

Its been two shows, and starting last yr they really halted the forward momentum for the post Mania shows due to the Shakeup the following week.

Having said that I hope they have better things in mind for Kofi. Whats Vince (the character) think? Are we dumping the authority part of the story?

We need a hell of a lot more than New Day vs the Bar, which was a basic tag team program 3 years ago, if the title is going to elevate Kofi.

7. clintrichardson

clintrichardson Active Member

I wonder if they build to New Day v Bryan and Rowan and Harper. The use of the Bar is sort of pointless, unless they regarded this week as an NCAA tournament related pause before the shakeup

JimmyHoward33 likes this.
  8. nietsroob17

I'm surprised they didn't throw Kofi anymore curveballs the week before or at Mania.

My thoughts for the future:

Next week, they either split up New Day or keep them together. Big E hugs Kofi and gives him one of those over-the-shoulder suplexes.

I think E can carry a solo program. He's shown a lot more since just being Dolph's muscle way back when.

Unless they're that hesitant to split them because of how much of cash cows they are.

Last edited: Apr 10, 2019
  9. JRoyal

JRoyal Well-Known Member

They have had zero hints at dissension in New Day. There is no way in hell they break them up at this point. They work well together, they sell a ton of merch, and they're all on the record saying New Day is the best thing that's happened for their careers. Without a good story to lead to it, there's just no way they go from goofy Big E doing splits to bad guy Big E suplexing Kofi. And, really, there's no good reason to split New Day until you want to elevate Big E. I think right now, we're more likely to see New Day taken to another level with Big E and Xavier getting the tag belts so they hold all the big gold on one show, or they give Big E a run at the US title against Samoa Joe. Hell, that could actually lead to Joe vs. Kofi for the WWE title if they do it right.

Batman likes this.
  10. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

I know people always say the New Day is tired and they need to be broken up, but I've never understood that beyond it's standard wrestling booking. They're a rare group that can conceivably have any of its members chase any title (especially now that one of them has won the big belt). They work well as a tag team or individually. They actually look like they enjoy themselves and each other. When Kofi won the title, you could see they felt like they won it too after walking that road with him for so long.
    I wouldn't mind seeing Big E get a run with the big belt eventually and he or Xavier getting some U.S. title reigns, but I really hope they don't break them up to get there. Frankly, I hope they never break them up. Let them be a tag team that just wanders back into each other's lives once in a while, like the Shield but without the heel turns.

JimmyHoward33 and JRoyal like this.
  11. JimmyHoward33

I also dont think New Day splits. Having the next show be MITB means most credible threats could be in the ladder match so Kofi’s probably going to be a backseat guy for a minute here, but ..... There’s gotta be more than what feels like same old same old new day vs a tag team + random chum of the week.

Otherwise Kofis taking the title down the card not riding the belt up the mountain. And thats not good for either Kofi or the belt.

12. Gutter

Gutter Well-Known Member

Formation of The New Day (July 21, 2014):

Yet they wouldn't debut until November 28, 2014:

Draft saved Draft deleted