1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

2019 Pro Wrestling thread

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Baron Scicluna, Jan 1, 2019.

1. John B. Foster

John B. Foster Well-Known Member

2. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

This month will be quite interesting. Who signs first? Bryce Harper, Manny Machado or Kenny Omega?

John B. Foster and JimmyHoward33 like this.
  3. mpcincal

mpcincal Well-Known Member

4. John B. Foster

I understand many people do not want Omega to sign with WWE because they don't believe they'll utilize him properly. However, selfish me really wants him to sign there because it's the biggest wrestling company in the world, and I want to see him wrestle on the big stage.

Sign him WWE, and have him debut at the Rumble. Just like Styles did.

5. JimmyHoward33

JimmyHoward33 Well-Known Member

I only follow the non-wwe scene tangentally so it doesnt really matter to me if he leaves there. But isnt Omega kind of running out of opponents on that stage ? Hes has 6 star matches with every body, I think?

The indy folks who think wwe wont use him just hate wwe. They’ve used the shit out of AJ. Its about the talent rising to it, not wwe, and I dont think anyone doubts Omega will rise to it

6. John B. Foster

I agree, somewhat. They have done a wonderful job with AJ. Granted, AJ has a lot to do with that. However, look at someone like Zayn. Super talented wrestler, but other than a few things here and there, the WWE has made a mockery of him since he got called-up.

I do believe that the WWE would push him like they have done with Styles, but on the other hand, I can see why some fans are hesitant to think that they will.

7. Baron Scicluna

WWE’s thing is that new stars that they didn’t create have to wait their turn. They did it with Styles, where he lost to Jericho. They did it endlessly with Bryan. They did it with Jericho. They’re doing it with Nakamura.

They’ll likely do the same with Omega. Big entrance at the Rumble. High profile match at WM with a WWE veteran. He’ll lose a few to the established stars, get some wins as a midcarder, then, if he keeps working and clicking with the audience, then he gets the big push.

8. JimmyHoward33

Disagree. I know we were all pissed off when Jericho beat AJ at his first Mania. The next night though he won an awesome no 1 contender match and had a great main event vs Roman at the next ppv. That Reigns match was when I personally knew he was the real deal.

From debut to ppv main event in 4 months is a fast push. It kind of should take 2-4 months to introduce a guy to the audience.

What % of the 2 million watching Raw have 0 idea who Kenny Omega is? 50% 70% 80% ?

9. Baron Scicluna

I’d think most of the remaining 2 million would know who Omega is because they’re the diehard fans.

John B. Foster likes this.
  10. John B. Foster

Agree 100%

With social media this day and age, majority of WWE fans know who Kenny Omega is.

11. JimmyHoward33

More or less the NXT? HHH has spoken openly about needing to reintroduce characters when they come up because the audience has no clue.

Obvs HHH could be giving corporate excuses, but I think if you look at some of the flops —- Zayn and Bayley especially — the problem is 0 of their underdog backstory was re-told on Raw and the vast majority of the Raw audience had no clue about their characters

12. John B. Foster

It’s true for some. You mention Zayn, he’s a perfect example. He was not known worldwide like Omega is currently, though. Omega is the same league as Styles, Bryan, Owens – indy guys that are known by most wrestling fans– even WWE fans.

Last edited: Jan 7, 2019
Draft saved Draft deleted