1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

2019 Pro Wrestling thread

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Baron Scicluna, Jan 1, 2019.

1. nietsroob17

nietsroob17 Well-Known Member

So are they just going to replicate the whole storyline leading up to Daniel Bryan and WM30? Becky, the plucky fighter who's massively over, goes up against the McMahons, gets yanked from the Ronda match. Charlotte gets the title shot to the fans' dismay (a la Batista). Then Becky has to fight Stephanie in the undercard at WM (like Bryan-HHH) to get into the main event?

2. JimmyHoward33

JimmyHoward33 Well-Known Member

I think its more meant to replicate Stone Cold arguing with Vince about being cleared when Owen dumped him on his head and he was IC champ.

People kinda forget Austin/McMahon was born a little before Tyson and Mania 14. I think then first McMahon stunner came during that IC run.

3. nietsroob17

What a podcast, taped from Jericho's cruise. King and JR, and JR is drunk off his fuckin' gourd.

4. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

5. JRoyal

JRoyal Well-Known Member

He seems to be getting even more drunk as the podcast goes on. By the end, he's practically incoherent lol.

6. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

What the hell was that ending? They're obviously going somewhere with it and it's not exactly a secret they might be heading in this direction, but that was totally random. Like Vince McMahon stumbled out from Gorilla position like a drunken Shooter in Hoosiers.

7. nietsroob17

Of course, Vince has to insert himself right in the middle of it. If Stephanie and Triple H wasn't enough.

I'm guessing Steph and H will campaign to get Becky back in, probably with some sort of match at the next PPV.

8. JimmyHoward33

JimmyHoward33 Well-Known Member

I guess I’m in the minority, but this doesn’t bother me at all. Beckys going to be in the match. Beckys probably going to win the match.

I think big picture, Ronda is a short timer, and having this Mania main event part of whats going to be an Odyssey long epic tale between Charlotte and Becky for a decade makes sense to me. Its better for the legend that’ll exist in 20-30 years.

Theres subtleties that are hard to understand.... Charlottes a heel aligned with Vince? Steph, the biggest heel in the company, will bail out Becky because reasons? Rondas always been against the McMahons but now shes... not? Or is she?

But overall I’m good with a 3way. Itll be a better match.

9. nietsroob17

I could see Becky back in two weeks to storm Ric Flair's 70th birthday celebration and put Ric in a submission hold to force their hand.

Last edited: Feb 12, 2019
    JimmyHoward33 likes this.
  10. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

I can see something like that, or Becky bringing a beer truck and spraying everyone.

I’m sure the three-way will be fine, but I’d rather have Becky vs. Ronda be one on one. Becky wins, and she’s made. Instead, they’ll probably have Becky pin or submit Charlotte, and Ronda gets to complain that she never lost the title.

The other problem is, I’m sick of the McMahons getting in the way. There’s so many parts of this story that make zero sense. Steph and Trips shouldn’t like Ronda or Becky, but why are they backing Charlotte? Why a whole storyline based upon a suspension until she sees doctors? Why do the McMahons suddenly care about injuries?

Even more nutty, Ruby Riott has a title match against Ronda this Sunday and they barely mentioned it or hyped it up. A better storyline is that you hype up Ronda vs. Ruby, then Becky comes out to talk trash, then the McMahons remind her she’s on suspension until she sees the doctor and Becky says she doesn’t care and is planning to show up this Sunday anyways to scout the winner. No assumption on who wins Sunday. Becky’s appearances get explained and the title match gets some attention. Two storylines get explained.

Last edited: Feb 12, 2019
  11. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

I'm guessing Becky somehow "buys" a ticket for this Sunday that puts her front row ringside. Convenient how she'll be able to do that six days before the PPV when they've probably been sold out for weeks.

Baron Scicluna likes this.
  12. JRoyal

JRoyal Well-Known Member

Always amazes me the deals wrestlers get from scalpers when they need a front-row, camera-side ticket on short notice.

Draft saved Draft deleted