1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

2019 Pro Wrestling thread

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Baron Scicluna, Jan 1, 2019.

1. JimmyHoward33

JimmyHoward33 Well-Known Member

Discussion on Ca
    Too predictable. Too formuliac.

At this point I know when a commercial is coming based on the moves in any given match. That kinda thing is just boring. There needs to be a mix of match length and finish style that grabs your attention.

Also stakes! Make the random RAW tag matches mashing up the top feuds for something other than filling time. Ability to add stipulations, card placement, whatever, just add some stakes to make it feel like we should care who wins

John B. Foster likes this.
  2. John B. Foster

John B. Foster Well-Known Member

This is 100%. Before it goes to commercial I always say “we’ll be back after these commercials” two seconds later a commercial comes on. So annoying. In addition, there should not be any commercials during a match.

JimmyHoward33 likes this.
  3. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

Make the various championships mean something again.
    They've done a good job with the IC belt and the women's titles, but the rest are slipping into obscurity. The United States championship was defended early in the preshow at the Royal Rumble. The Raw tag team titles are a joke. The Universal championship isn't much better because they've overbuilt Lesnar. Even though Lesnar's been on Raw more frequently lately he still only defends the title every other month at best, mostly in boring and formulaic matches.
    There's only so much TV time to go around, but the titles are supposed to be the centerpiece of the card. That's been lacking lately.

4. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

Only one thing? Um, no.

1. Cut back to two hours except for special episodes. WCW did the same mistake. Two hours leaves you wanting more. Three hours, especially when they’re just filling time, is a drag. When you think about it, they’re creating 156 hours of live TV storylines a week, which is insane when you compare it to other TV shows.

2. Mix up the openings. They don’t have to start every single show with a 20-minute promo. Start out with some matches.

3. Speaking of promos, stop scripting them down to the exact word, at least for those who are capable of freelancing.

4. No more evil authority figures for a few years. Stop using control of the TV show as an actual storyline. It’s literally been going on for 21 years. Enough already. Just have a generic babyface who occasionally has to give the heels a bone when they are screwed over the role just to continue the already created storylines.

5. Titles. Make them mean something. I get not having the top champ wrestle on TV too often, but Lesnar should make more appearances. Also, make the other titles more meaningful. You have IC and the women’s title and soon, two tag titles. There’s four storylines each week that can take up maybe six out of the eight segments in a two hour show. The other two segments can be other storylines. You can even rotate the title storylines to have three out of four champs per week, so that the champions get a week off per month if you want a Lesnar spot or a prominent midcard storyline.

6. Better selling in the matches. There’s way too many spots where guys hit a big move and the other guy pops up five seconds later. Also, protect finishers more. A kickout on a finisher should be rare, not every PPV.

This is just off the top of my head. Maybe more if I think of it.

John B. Foster likes this.
  5. John B. Foster

John B. Foster Well-Known Member

Anyone here watch Halftime heat?

6. JRoyal

JRoyal Well-Known Member

To add to the too formulaic responses: less of hitting the same moves every match. I understand finishers. But does Seth Rollins need to dive through the ropes every match? Does the Miz have to do Miz/Yes kicks every time or that clothesline in the corner where he jumps through the ropes? And how about a few more surprise finishes, not necessarily out of nowhere, but at times just have a guy beat his opponent down and get a pin. Guys like Nikita Koloff at times would just beat a guy down and pin him after destroying him, no finisher needed. Does a lot to push a guy when he doesn't even need his big move to beat someone. Doesn't have to be a regular thing, but something every once in a while.

Baron Scicluna and Batman like this.
  7. Mwilliams685

Mwilliams685 Active Member

So much this. Quit letting people get their shit in during every single match.

JRoyal likes this.
  8. nietsroob17

nietsroob17 Well-Known Member

When Becky Lynch debuted in NXT, her character oozed Irish stereotypes and she was like the female Hornswoggle.

Look at her now.

9. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

That's especially true for top rope moves. A superplex should be a move that puts somebody away once in a while. Rollins won a match a few weeks ago with the Falcon Arrow and it was like, "Whoa. How did that happen?"

JRoyal and JimmyHoward33 like this.
  10. JimmyHoward33

JimmyHoward33 Well-Known Member

AJ Styles had some good thoughts on one of the pods about a year ago about how he wants to finish his matches with the forearm sometimes, the crusher sometimes, the clash sometimes, so that especially for TV matches the audience doesn't know the difference between a finish and a set up move. More guys should have believable set up moves. Every once in a while, esp for TV, Seth Rollins needs to win with the damn Falcon Arrow. Has anyone every in the history of the business stayed down for a Sami Zayn blue thunder bomb? No and that's a big problem for having attention keeping, believable matches.

RE: Halftime Heat ---- it was fun. It played like a PWG match. Lots of high spots, the guys worked well together. I certainly wasn't blown away by it but if the segment of the audience that doesn't watch NXT tuned in, they're probably saying God damn I need to watch more of Velveteen dream and Richochet. Those two stood out above the rest, even as an unabashed mark for Gargano and Ciampa

11. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

Holy shit. I've seen Road House about a hundred times in the past 30 years. It wasn't until tonight, watching the "Be Nice" speech on YouTube, that I realized Terry Funk is in that movie.
    How did I not know this!?

12. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

Funk’s been in a few movies through the years. He was Stallone’s opponent in Paradise Alley, which was a wrestling film from the 70s and played alongside Stallone again as the rich father in law’s bodyguard in Over The Top.

Draft saved Draft deleted