1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

2019 Pro Wrestling thread

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Baron Scicluna, Jan 1, 2019.

1. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

2. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

They won’t get much better next week. They’ll be on FS1.

From what I see around the web, the ratings are better than the previous Fox programming on Friday nights, but the E’s going to have to figure something out.

Plus, Friday night isn’t exactly the most convenient time to draw 18-35 demo viewers. They usually have other things going on Friday nights.

3. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

It's probably cheaper to Fox than burning through cash for a scripted (okay MORE scripted) tv show or two. Figure a lot of kids and high schoolers watch it. But there is still this weird idea that something that gets good ratings on basic or expanded cable (USA, FX, TNT and the like) would get even better on network - when it hasn't proven to be the case at all. The audience is the audience.

sgreenwell likes this.
  4. sgreenwell

sgreenwell Well-Known Member

Clicking on that article, I was shocked at how many more eyeballs shit like Blue Bloods and Hawaii Five-O is getting. Yeah, Smackdown might narrowly hold the edge in the 18-35 demo, but I doubt Fox is shelling out all of the cash to finish fourth for the night.

5. nietsroob17

nietsroob17 Well-Known Member

That's a real bummer. Looks like Woods blew his Achilles out. It'll be a good while until he's back.

Too bad for New Day. Other than Big E's recent absence, they've been remarkably healthy over the years.

6. Baron Scicluna

OK, so the E has Flair cut a promo DURING the match and the cameras can’t decide whether to focus on Drew and Ricochet or Flair.

The E, trying to do wayyy too much again.

7. Baron Scicluna

Damn Ricochet. Save some bumps for later.

8. nietsroob17

Since they're in Cleveland, and they're NXT buddies, perhaps they'd have Johnny Gargano team with the Profits?

Then again, it'll probably be something more simple like Cedric Alexander.

9. nietsroob17

It's like Saudi Arabia already. Not a single female performer (aside from Zelina) in the whole 3 hours of Raw.

10. JimmyHoward33

JimmyHoward33 Well-Known Member

Where is Becky?!? And Charlotte?!? Is there some superstar cruise wrestle vessel that we dont know about?!?

(this show was extremely boring)

11. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

Didn't Bray get into this sort of feud for one of the other Saudi shows as well? Where he was drafted to one show, feuding with a wrestler from the other, and was sort of in limbo for almost a month?

12. Gutter

Gutter Well-Known Member

October 21, 2019.

The date I removed Raw and Smackdown from my DVR recordings.

I've VHS-taped/DVR'd every Raw/Nitro since 1996 and every Smackdown since it came on the air. Not that I've watched them all ... but as of late, most if not all are getting an immediate delete.

Didn't DVR Raw last night. Didn't watch a minute of it. Didn't miss it. Just read the recap .... didn't miss anything.

AEW and NXT are much more enjoyable and tell better stories in and out of the ring (well, hopefully AEW will get the out of the ring storytelling part down). So I'll still have my fix ... just can't dedicate 9 hours/week to this, especially when 5 is scripted garbage. I'm sure I'm not alone.

Also letting my network subscription go at the end of the month ... which is funny because if NXT was still on the network, I'd probably keep it. I may re-up for the occasional Takeover, but don't feel the need to spend money on a product I have no interest in at the moment and on a service that has provided minimal documentary content in recent months/years.

Last edited: Oct 22, 2019
    sgreenwell and JimmyHoward33 like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted