1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

2019 Pro Wrestling thread

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Baron Scicluna, Jan 1, 2019.

1. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

I remember him being in a brief post-Wrestlemania feud with The Shield when they first debuted. Looking at the synopsis of his career on Wiki, though, it looks like he was last a full-timer in late 2010 or early 2011.
    I'm guessing he'll stick around through Summerfest, so I'm curious to see if he'll be a regular for the next couple of months and maybe wrestle a match or two on Raw or Smackdown.

2. 2muchcoffeeman

2muchcoffeeman Well-Known Member

Vince won’t, but Kevin Dunn probably popped a blood vessel.

Jim Cornette just buried Russo and Ferrara in a living room rant and doesn’t know why.

3. JimmyHoward33

JimmyHoward33 Well-Known Member

Beckys so much more over than Seth its not even funny. Lik good for Lynch but the guy whos carrying the most important belt and going online shitting on the competition, needing a rub from his girlfriend to get over, woof.

4. JimmyHoward33

He worked Hell in a Cell in 2015, and then his last TV match I guess was vs Dean Ambrose during that Brothers/Shield deal in 2013.

His last non Mania singles match in the United States appears to be 2015.

5. nietsroob17

nietsroob17 Well-Known Member

"No more Shane!" chant.

Still, he's dominating both of the shows. And they don't know why ratings and tickets sales are dropping.

JimmyHoward33 likes this.
  6. nietsroob17

nietsroob17 Well-Known Member

7. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

Catching up on the new AEW - so why would someone be expected to watch AEW over WWE? And what potential impact will this have on the XFL? Will McMahon have to use some of his XFL launch money to shore up his wrestling empire?

8. JimmyHoward33

Different flavor of ice cream. Aew says it's aiming to be more sports centric in presentation, more real ish, there won't be the annoying quirks of McMahon like banned words in announcing, stuff like that. Their athletes will most likely have the handcuffs off creatively, inside and outside the ring.

I dont suspect many will choose Aew over wwe. The vast majority of Aew fans will be wwe fans too. The loudest will say Aew is better, they like it better, but they'll still have tabs on the wwe product.

I'd say if you liked southern wrestling in 80s or you liked any wrestling in the late 90s but don't watch today, give em a shot, see if you like it.

As for xfl, no bearing what so ever. Wwe has such a steady revenue stream from their two new TV deals that Aew cannot hurt them financially no matter how well they do.

9. JRoyal

JRoyal Well-Known Member

For a lot of folks, it won't be an either/or with AEW and WWE. We'll watch both. There will be some who are tired of the crappy WWE product who drop it and go all AEW, but the majority of AEW fans will be like Jimmy said, people who are still at least keeping tabs on the WWE, and most will be watching both.

10. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

The big challenge for AEW, and Chris Jericho has mentioned this a few times, will be how well they can manage the grind of weekly TV. Right now they only have to gear up for a few big PPVs and can let the wrestling (far and away their biggest draw) speak for itself. They can engineer lots of 5-star matches when that's really all they have to focus on from a creative standpoint.
    When they have to fill a couple of hours of TV every week it's going to change a lot of things. Talented wrestlers who have never been in that situation before are suddenly going to have to handle a different type of workload and creative process. Jericho has talked about how even some of the most talented guys in the company like the Young Bucks and Kenny Omega have never done that before, which is why veterans like Dustin Rhodes, Dean Malenko and himself will be so important in the early going.
    It wouldn't surprise me if the first few months are closer to TNA/Impact quality than WWE quality. For all the shit WWE gets for being stale creatively, what they're able to accomplish with producing five hours of live scripted television every week with high quality production values -- and still have it be somewhat entertaining at its worst -- is nothing short of amazing.

11. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

Yeah, when you think about how other sitcoms and dramas only have to fill a half hour or an hour for 20 weeks a year or so, it’s truly nuts how the E does it.

As for the original question, I agree with the others. AEW will be a supplement, not an either/or, unless they decide to run their show at the same day and time as the E.

12. JimmyHoward33

At first I thought this has to be Kayfabe, but the story says no plans to introduce on TV.

Seems ridiculous but any change is better than none. Bishoff hasnt had creative success in what 20 years?

I guess if you want a job in WWE, do a show with Conrad. Bruce, Taker, Eric....

Paul Heyman, Eric Bischoff to run WWE TV programs

If you’re HHH how do you feel about these 2 guys basically end arounding you? The internal politics are crazy here.

Draft saved Draft deleted