1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

2019 Pro Wrestling thread

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Baron Scicluna, Jan 1, 2019.

1. JimmyHoward33

JimmyHoward33 Well-Known Member

I kinda loved it, if nothing else than for the look on Brock’s face. That was cracked me up.

Bayley is my fave. Loved that.

Not sure how Balor is alive, holy shit he got abused.

All in all I enjoyed the show, every match was well paced and crisp. I dont have many complaints.

Kinda thought the guy who took out Sami might end up being Bray..... what sounded like an “owie zowie” chant after one of Finns insane bumps was a nice touch that Brays thing is getting over

2. JimmyHoward33

JimmyHoward33 Well-Known Member

Do we think the “title” Foley’s introducing will be something useful or some lame ass thing tied to the Saudi show like the big green belt Braun won at greatest rumble never seen again?

3. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

Maybe it's the Saudi Arabian Championship that they'll only defend on these Saudi shows.

JimmyHoward33 likes this.
  4. mpcincal

mpcincal Well-Known Member

So, I was watching the MOTB match and during the whole thing I'm constantly saying to myself "they'd better not have Corbin win this," and they came up with an ending that made a Corbin win seem like not such a bad idea. I haven't watched much WWE programming since Wrestlemania, and the thought of bringing Brock back as a part-time champion again isn't making want to sit in front of the TV and watch Monday nights.

Oh well, at least after that I got to see the '24' on Becky Lynch on the Network. I always like those day- or year- in-the-life docs, and this didn't disappoint. One takeaway: If Becks and Seth Rollins hadn't confirmed their relationship last week, it would have been out in the open after this.

JimmyHoward33 likes this.
  5. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

I agree.

Bray would have been better.

6. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

As much as Corbin is boring, I could see him being the most annoying smarmy asshole if he would have won. And it would be funny as hell if he cashed it and lost again.

7. nietsroob17

nietsroob17 Well-Known Member

On the women's MITB:

- That spot where Dana was dangling from the hook holding the briefcase scared the hell out of me. But kudos to her. She really has done a lot to improve.
    - Glad to see Bayley win the case, then cash in. But I was half expecting it to backfire and Bayley join the Damien Sandow Club of MITB Failures.

On the men's MITB:
    - I hate when wrestlers just pause in fear when someone's music hits. I mean, Ali was a cop in Chicago. I think he can deal with Brock's music. I would've loved for Ali to hear the music and still unclip the briefcase so the whole thing would've been all for naught.

8. sgreenwell

sgreenwell Well-Known Member

Brock winning MitB could be fun if he's kept off TV for a while, as opposed to like, cashing it in next month and then we're back to the title being off TV for months. Like, in theory, he's an awesome guy to win it - In a straight up match, he's a monster that hardly ever loses, so giving him the briefcase is even more of an advantage he doesn't need. I'd have him do a promo at a Raw after the Saudi match about how he's going away for a while and he'll use it when he pleases, and then bring him back way later.

That being said - The execution in the match was shitty. Why are you having your regulars bust their ass and kill themselves in a match that you're going to have Brock come down at the end and win? I think there would have been less of a bad taste in everyone's mouth if he was just there from the beginning, whether you shortened the match a bunch, or had them gang up on him to 'neutralize' him for a period of time.

Batman and JimmyHoward33 like this.
  9. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

That was probably my biggest problem with it, was that there was no build to there being a mystery eighth man. They had the Strowman bits that ought to lead to a Lesnar-Strowman feud of some sort -- it makes sense now that it was Lesnar who took out Zayn -- but no mention of replacing Zayn in the match. It made no logical sense.
    And I hate Lesnar at this point. He's boring as hell. The one thing they desperately needed to do was keep him out of the Universal Championship picture for a while to make that title visible again, and now he's right back in it.

10. John B. Foster

John B. Foster Well-Known Member

Jericho big fan of Brock winning.

Baron Scicluna, Batman and sgreenwell like this.
  11. nietsroob17

Hopefully, Braun will screw over Brock's cash-in and bring things full circle.

12. nietsroob17

OK, let's keep track. Roman makes three SD wild cards on Raw. Let's see if they actually stick to their rule for once.

Draft saved Draft deleted