1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

2019 Pro Football Hall of Fame Ballot

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Della9250, Aug 18, 2018.

1. 3_Octave_Fart

3_Octave_Fart Well-Known Member

Three if you count Jones.

Other possibles: Nate Newton and Daryl Johnston.
    I think Johnston will get in down the road as the fullback position is all but dead, and he was one of the last of the all-around greats to play it.

2. Slacker

Slacker Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

Last edited: Sep 17, 2018
  3. Jake from State Farm

Jake from State Farm Well-Known Member

Starr, Hornung, Kramer, Gregg, Thurston, Taylor, Jordan
    Eight I'm not sure but I'll say Wood
    EDIT: Not Wood or Thurston
    I won't name the other two

4. LanceyHoward

LanceyHoward Well-Known Member

Ray Nitschke and Jim Ringo.

5. cyclingwriter2

cyclingwriter2 Well-Known Member

Getting close.

Jordan didn’t join the packers until 1959.

6. Gutter

Gutter Well-Known Member

Len Ford ... one season with the Packers to finish his career. That's why his name isn't on the Lambeau ring (much like Jan Stenerud and Ted Hendricks aren't).

Last edited: Sep 18, 2018
    cyclingwriter2 likes this.
  7. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

Hall of Famers want to keep getting paid by the NFL.

8. da man

da man Well-Known Member

This is TO's doing, isn't it?

9. 3_Octave_Fart

3_Octave_Fart Well-Known Member

I don't blame them a bit. Fuck Goodell, the league, and Canton if they can't understand this.

10. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

Do any HoF members of other sports get a cut of the league's revenue or annual salary?

11. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

I do think HoFers - and all NFL vets for that matter - should have lifetime medical coverage (at least similar to what the military offers) considering the damage done to their bodies. Not sure they should be on salary, but they should get a cut if they are part of one of those NFL Fan Experiences. I liken it to residuals actors get when a show or movie they were in pops up. The NFL continues to mine their vaults to sustain the "legacy" of the league, but the players don't get a dime. Chipping a few million off to the alumni would be a decent start. There are too many charities that players take part in that care for retired NFL players when the league should be taking care of them.

12. LanceyHoward

LanceyHoward Well-Known Member

I think that you have to evaluate blocking fullbacks like offensive linemen. Johnston only had 294 career receptions and 752 yards rushing. Those stats will not get anyone into the HOF. So I think you, by default, have to look at the number of Pro Bowls and all NFL teams made. Johnston made the Pro Bowl twice. Lorenzo Neal, for example, made it four times. For a blocking back to make it I think they would have to rack up a lot of Pro Bowls.

I think that Newton is more deserving with six Pro Bowls but there are a lot of interior linemen with similar credentials who stayed out of prison. If Newton had been named to six straight all NFL teams and 11 Pro Bowls like Larry Allen then he would get in. But as a border line candidate I think the drug distribution charges knock him out.

Draft saved Draft deleted