1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

2019 NFL off-season thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by John B. Foster, Jan 23, 2019.

1. Scout

Scout Well-Known Member

This might sound crazy, but what if the NFL paid players a base salary of $1mil and the rest of the salary was earned as bonuses?

I don’t want to do the math, but if you divide up 130 million, the remaining cap, by snaps played, touches, yards, catches, tackles, I’m sure something could be worked out.

Offensive linemen who play every down have about 1000 snaps a season. Every snap played be $1500 or so? Every position has its own metric.

No more agents. No more bullshit. No more unemployed Mason Fosters.

Neutral Corner likes this.
  2. heyabbott

heyabbott Well-Known Member

Each player gets $750,000 for a win. $10,000 for a loss. $1.5 mil each for a playoff win. $3mil for SB win. $100K for post season loss.

3. JC

JC Well-Known Member

Damn, I’m sure players would jump at this.

4. Della9250

Della9250 Well-Known Member

The only problem with that is you have manipulation if guys got close to certain milestone bonuses.

5. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

I'm not surprised it has gone this far, but Gordon's agent failed his client by not being realistic. Gordon is prone to injury and the Chargers have seen that they have quality options without him. Supposedly, he turned down a pretty good extension offer and I doubt he'll even get that again, much less what he wants. He wants to be paid like Gurley and Bell, but he's not on their level and he has even more durability concerns than those two had a year ago. The Chargers seem very comfortable going into the season with Ekeler and Jackson at running back. They also have other big problems with Okung is out at least six weeks and Derwin James isn't expected to come off IR until late-November.

https://www.foxsports.com/nfl/story/chargers-suspend-contract-extension-talks-with-rb-gordon-090119

6. Scout

Scout Well-Known Member

But it has to be better than the current system.

This system ass fucks running backs and young players. A third-year player, who has started, that gets injured is screwed.

They play at such a risk and are such a comparative bargain to veterans... it's just totally unbalanced.

7. Scout

Scout Well-Known Member

Alvin Kamara has only made $2.8 million so far.

That's crazy.

Neutral Corner likes this.
  8. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

So the Pats are going with Stidham as the back-up? Okay - if you lose Brady for the season, you're not going to win a bowl anyway, but if you lose him for four to six games, a proven back-up could at least make sure they still secure a bye for the first week of the playoffs with that sorry-ass division. It's been interesting seeing contending teams actually invest in a back-up with NFL starting experience, the Rams with Bortles, the Chiefs with Matt Moore, the Eagles with McCown, Chargers with Tyrod Taylor, Saints with Bridgewater.

9. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

Never forget the Patriots won 11 games with Matt Cassel at quarterback, and 3-1 with the tandem of Garoppolo and Jacoby Brissett. Belichick would find a way to work around Stidham's limitations at worst, and at best luck into another Bledsoe-Brady situation.

10. DanOregon

And Drew Lock on the IR with a bad thumb.

11. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

Fair point, though all of those guys went on to be starters in the NFL. Thanks to Luck's retirement, two of them enter this season as starters. As your point suggests, Coach Hoodie has gone this route before. He is far from the only one. The Steelers did it last season, cutting veteran backup Landry Jones to go with Joshua Dobbs as their No. 2. They rolled the dice that Roethlisberger would remain healthy and mostly got away with it, with the one exception coming when he missed most of the second half and Dobbs stunk up the field in a loss to the Raiders.

The thing is, Dobbs looked unprepared in that game. The coaches clearly simplified the playbook once he went in. I have a hell of a lot more faith in the Patriots having their backup quarterback ready to step in than I do in the Steelers.

12. DanOregon

It's funny - I'm mostly hoping Rosen gets a chance to prove himself because I've read too many articles talking about what a great qb he is. Maybe he's just more of a jerk than he is a good qb, or maybe his talent doesn't fit in with the whole tanking philosophy of Miami.

Draft saved Draft deleted