1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

2019 NFL off-season thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by John B. Foster, Jan 23, 2019.

1. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

2. Della9250

Della9250 Well-Known Member

Please explain

3. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

It kind of sucks to be Fitzpatrick and Rosen today. I was really hoping we'd get a chance to see if Rosen could be an NFL qb. I'm guessing the answer will be no.

4. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

The Dolphins are taking and doing a good job of it.

The Texans were desperate for offensive line help and mortgaged the future to get it. The odd part is trading away Clowney given that they are taking a win-now approach otherwise.

5. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

Any chance of a Gordon-Elliott swap? (with the Chargers throwing in a 6th or 7th) figure it would allow both teams to save face, maybe up their offer a tad and having their RB position covered for the forceeable future.

6. PCLoadLetter

PCLoadLetter Well-Known Member

Why would Dallas trade a holdout RB for another holdout RB who is not as good?

Batman likes this.
  7. JC

JC Well-Known Member

This is so ridiculous?

8. heyabbott

heyabbott Well-Known Member

9. outofplace

Neither of those guys is worth what they want. No way in hell any team should give Elliott or any other running back what Gurley got. That was a terrible contract. The Rams screwed themselves and quite a few other teams with that deal.

I wonder if Bell actually sits an entire season if he doesn't have that deal as a target, a target he didn't reach anyway. In the end, it may have done the Steelers a favor because they got to see what Conner can do and I'm guessing Bell will bottom out long before his new deal is done.

Gordon's demands of the Chargers have not been realistic. Elliott's might be just because Jones tends to err on the side of paying the player. I think the Gurley deal is a major factor in both cases, but teams should be reminding these guys how badly that worked out for the Rams and explaining there is no way that is a model any team wants to follow.

10. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

The Gurley deal has yet to work out in any way, good or bad for the Rams. They did make the Super Bowl last year and Gurley had something to do with it as I recall. Until there's a more definitive answer on his health, he can't be written off so easily.

11. outofplace

Gurley broke down in year one of that deal and part of the issue is arthritis in his knee. He disappeared from the offense late in the regular season and did very little in the playoffs. He ran for 35 yards on 10 carries and lost a yard on his one reception in that Super Bowl. He was a big part of why their offense faltered so badly with a title on the line.

Gurley has been avoiding questions about his knee, but the team's trainer confirmed arthritis. That is only going to get worse. I'm quite comfortable calling that a bad deal.

Last edited: Sep 2, 2019
  12. PCLoadLetter

PCLoadLetter Well-Known Member

I'm surprised the Gordon thing has gotten as ugly as it has. The two sides really aren't that far apart. I understand Elliott taking a hard line, but I don't think Gordon is doing himself any favors right now.

Draft saved Draft deleted