1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

2019 NFL off-season thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by John B. Foster, Jan 23, 2019.

1. HappyCurmudgeon

HappyCurmudgeon Well-Known Member

You just coming around on that one? :)

He's been more of a character than a coach the day after he won the Super Bowl in Tampa. That was the day he stopped trying.

Inky_Wretch and heyabbott like this.
  2. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

How slow have the last few weeks been sports news wise when Antonio Brown's feet and head are given so much attention? Seriously. It's not like the Raiders are even expected to contend.

3. poindexter

poindexter Well-Known Member

Hard Knocks and LL World Series are two deathly boring events that I like solely because as soon as they are over, real football is about to start.

4. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

I loathe the Little League World Series with all my heart. In my suburban town, Little League ends with a season's town champion. It doesn't pick an All-Star team and go into the state playoffs. I heartily approve. Being town champ is all the fame 12 year olds should get.

Smallpotatoes and HanSenSE like this.
  5. justgladtobehere

justgladtobehere Well-Known Member

Isn't there an eternal flame in honor of Al Davis being placed in front of the new stadium? You wouldn't want to upset the solemnity of that tribute.

6. DanOregon

are they going to do some marathon relay from Oakland to Vegas?

HanSenSE likes this.
  7. poindexter

poindexter Well-Known Member

I can't quite put into words why I dislike the three weeks of coverage on ESPN, but I do. I actually think the main reason is because I think it's fake. Fake with the joyous childish celebrations, fake with the sportsmanship, fake everything. Could be I am just cynical.

8. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

Maybe recreate the Holy Roller all the way through the Mojave Desert?

Smallpotatoes likes this.
  9. DanOregon

One of the great calls of all time.

10. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

I don't think you are at all. It's a weird feedback loop. The kids (and the coaches and parents) take their standards of sports behavior from watching ESPN (why the kids who come from all over the world all sound the same). ESPN then broadcasts LL nonstop and covers it as authentic Americana, when it's really authentic ESPN. I wouldn't be surprised if sometime in the next decade, Disney gives Little League a few freight cars full of $50s and $100s to move the whole shebang to Orlando.

11. sgreenwell

sgreenwell Well-Known Member

Agree with all of your remarks, and Poin's on this. Like... this is a weird, militaristic feel to the "sportsmanship" to me. Like one of the "fun" things of covering high school baseball is that plenty of the players have distinct personalities, and they show emotion after great plays, after fucking up, etc.

poindexter likes this.
  12. DanOregon

Of course its fake. Though it is genius miking the coaches to make sure they don't drop f-bombs or chew out a kid or ump. I do get sick of the shots of the crying kids and the obligatory, "ah - they'll be playing and laughing in the pool in an hour."

Draft saved Draft deleted