1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

2019 NFL off-season thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by John B. Foster, Jan 23, 2019.

1. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

They can still be a very good defense and just not get as many turnovers, which are subject to very large fluctuations as random chance plays a big part. That in turn will make the defense seem statistically weaker even though it's just as good.

2. Regan MacNeil

Regan MacNeil Well-Known Member

Well, sure. There's virtually no chance they get as many turnovers. But it's not like they won their 12 games by a combined 14 points or something. They had the fourth-best point differential in the league at +138.

The whole narrative around this team changes if Parkey makes that fucking kick. Now Trubisky sucks (even though he provided a go-ahead touchdown and marched them right down the field on that last drive), the defense will somehow magically tumble into being average or something, and the Bears were lucky last year and will suck again this year.

But it's to be expected from the average NFL fan. Teams never get credit for anything until they do it in more than one season.

3. Michael_ Gee

I make the Bears the NFC North favorite, and I'm sure many other neutrals do too.

4. JC

JC Well-Known Member

The Bears aren’t playoff probable?

5. Neutral Corner

Neutral Corner Well-Known Member

That's probably what I was trying to say, far more succinctly stated.

6. Scout

Scout Well-Known Member

QBs going to keep getting better.

Probably equal chance as the Vikings, and twice the chance as the Packers. Lions... no chance.

7. Michael_ Gee

I am an extreme Kirk Cousins skeptic, possibly more than he deserves, but that's how I feel and that's why I don't see the Vikings as NFC North champs.

8. Della9250

Della9250 Well-Known Member

9. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

Even though the two players were squared up to each other.
    The NFL rule book is awesome.

10. swingline

swingline Well-Known Member

Josh McCown — Josh Fucking McCown — coming back at 40 as Eagles backup.

11. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

Good Lord I wouldn't flag that in high school. I'm not saying it's dangerous, but come on.

I have to stop watching this Twitter feed. They'll only screw me up. It's hard enough to differentiate from high school and college. The NFL is in another universe.

12. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

Draft saved Draft deleted