1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

2019 NFL off-season thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by John B. Foster, Jan 23, 2019.

1. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

I mean shoot - if Gronk's back is hurting I'm sure Kraft can get him a decent referral.

2. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

Once again, the NFL changes the rules after they benefit the Patriots. Take that comment however you like.

Owners make pass interference, non-calls reviewable

Last year, it was the catch rule that changed after a season of controversial calls. This time around, it is replay. The owners approved a change allowing coaches to challenge pass interference calls and non-calls. The Saints apparently pushed for this one after a horrific non-call that cost them a trip to the Super Bowl. I mentioned the Patriots because they had a non-call in the end zone go their way in the Super Bowl. I believe Mike Tomlin is still on the competition committee, too, and he had an issue with a couple of calls in the Steelers' loss to the Saints.

The number of challenges allowed in a game did not change, so I don't really have a problem with this.

3. Scout

Scout Well-Known Member

How about do away with pass interference?

If I hold you, tackle you or hit you too hard when you are defenseless and trying to catch the ball, then flag me, but if I push you away when you are trying to catch the ball, that should be allowed. It means you were not open.

This would simplify the game so much and take all the power away from the yellow flag. It’s such an obvious solution that no one sees it.

4. LanceyHoward

LanceyHoward Well-Known Member

Such a change would lead to a much different and much lower scoring game. ,I remember when the rules allowed defensive players to hit receivers until the ball was thrown, not just in the first five yards. Crossing patterns were not run because receivers faced a gauntlet of linebackers. A good receiver would get mugged. In 1972, in a 26 team league, only 19 players caught more than 40 passes.

5. outofplace

Exactly. It would certainly cut down the number of penalties and the rules protecting defenseless receivers would still be in place, so it wouldn't quite be a return to the '70s, but it would dramatically change the game. Of course, it would also allow receivers to push off, but that wouldn't come close to mitigating the effect of defenders being able to push receivers all over the field.

There is no way the NFL owners would approve a change that so drastically curtail the passing game.

6. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

Every game would be roughly like the last Super Bowl. I don't think that'd be good business.

sgreenwell likes this.
  7. Scout

Scout Well-Known Member

At some point, they will tire of the wrong team going to the Super Bowl.

8. outofplace

Why? Because the Patriots are allowed to hold and interfere with opposing receivers with impunity? :)

9. Junkie

Junkie Well-Known Member

Realistically, nearly every pass play in the final two minutes of every half should now be reviewed. The Saints got screwed but reviewing judgment calls is a Pandora's box.

10. Scout

Scout Well-Known Member

A 45-yard penalty because an arm was touched or a hand was on the back on a jump ball throw is ridiculous.

Offensive receivers can push off as well. Just no holding.

11. CD Boogie

CD Boogie Well-Known Member

There will obviously be unintended consequences from this rule change. For one, refs might be less inclined to call borderline PI now, knowing the play can be reviewed. Also, if I'm a coach, do I tell my guys to be ultra aggressive on passing plays in the first half, hoping the opposing team burns its challenges? This is going to create an interesting dynamic. Right now coaches basically only challenge fumbles and catches. Now they're going to be challenging judgment calls.

As a Steelers fan, I have every confidence that Mike Tomlin will suck at this aspect of challenges, too.

12. outofplace

I understand the point. Your first sentence sounds like you are describing the penalty on the Steelers' Joe Haden against the Saints in New Orleans, which was a joke. Maybe you are just thinking of a similar play, but the point is a good one.

It's just not realistic. The change you propose just won't happen.

Draft saved Draft deleted