1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

2019 NFL off-season thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by John B. Foster, Jan 23, 2019.

1. HanSenSE

HanSenSE Well-Known Member

2. Hermes

Hermes Well-Known Member

The Oakland Raiders play in San Francisco but wish they were already in Las Vegas.

The San Francisco 49ers play in Santa Clara.

A team everyone still accidentally calls San Diego plays in Los Angeles and can’t fill yp a soccer stadium.

The LA team that played in the Super Bowl has no fans.

The NFL in California is screwed up.

Batman likes this.
  3. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

SF is going to love the Raider tailgaters.

Chef2 likes this.
  4. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

I really don't get it.

What's in this for the Giants?

Most of their own fanbase is probably Niners fans who, all other things being equal, would probably love to see the Raiders booted a few dozen miles straight into the Pacific Ocean.

And that percentage of their fans who ARE hardcore Raiders freaks are undoubtedly embittered by the move and not at all pleased with the idea of giving them a generous sendoff.

Financially, and considering the damage/demands the football team will incur on the field, at least in September, I can't believe the Giants will come out much ahead on the deal.

5. DanOregon

I've been to football games at the baseball stadium. The layout of the goalposts is first base dugout to left field The left field endzone is really tight (some might say dangerous) and in most of the bowl games they had the teams on the same sideline. I doubt they'll put up temporary stands in right field. Supposedly the Raiders have a waitlist - or had a wait list - for season tickets, which means I guess they have at least 40,000 season ticket holders. The Giants stadium seats 42 k. The Raiders averaged 58k at the Coliseum.

6. Tarheel316

Tarheel316 Well-Known Member

The Black Hole at Oracle. That seems really bizarre. As an Oakland native, it’s hard for me to grasp. But I’m a fan of both the Raiders and 49ers as well as the Giants and the A’s. That’s probably unusual.

maumann likes this.
  7. Spartan Squad

Spartan Squad Well-Known Member

This is absolutely horseshit. As a Giants fan, this is atrocious.

8. Chef2

Chef2 Well-Known Member

So they're gonna go from a 1/2 empty converted baseball field to a 3/4 empty converted baseball field?

Good plan.

9. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

Rams' QB coach Zac Taylor officially named as Bengals head coach. Nothing like arriving off the high of a 3-point effort in a Super Bowl.

10. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

No worse than Patricia going to the Lions after last year's Bowl. Then again, that's hardly a good omen, is it?

11. Hermes

Hermes Well-Known Member

Those Bengals OLD ROUGH AND READY sweatshirts are going to be flying off the shelves.

12. DanOregon

Not So Fast My Friend.

49ers could refuse to let Raiders play in San Francisco

I think one of two things will happen. The Raiders will be forced to play in Oakland or the 49ers will say you will play in Levis and pay us rent. I really don't think the Oracle layout will meet NFL standards.

Draft saved Draft deleted