1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

2019 NFL Draft running thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by John B. Foster, Jan 14, 2019.

1. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

I would love to hear someone rank the QBs in last years 1st round, to this year and next year's class. That's about 12 QBs. If I needed a QB I'd take Flacco or Tannehill this year - figure the four next year will be better than this year's group. Also I'd do whatever needed to be done to get the Cards first rounder for next year. They'll be a top five pick and not likely to need a QB then. The Bucs and Lions could be in the market.

2. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

If you need a QB and pick Tannehill or Flacco you have a 7-9 ceiling for the upcoming season. Flacco's done. Tannehill's a proven mediocrity. Hell, I'd trade for Rosen before I'd look at them.

3. DanOregon

That's why I go after Tannehill or Flacco - I don't want to be too good - I'd wait a year. This year's group looks like back-up material. We're in a weird window when the better teams are more likely looking for a new QB and the worse a team is, the more likely they already have a QB. The market next year will likely be the Lions, Bengals, Bucs and maybe Giants.

4. JC

JC Well-Known Member

That's ridiculous.

5. DanOregon

Is it? Name a solid QB Gruden ever drafted. Or Elway, Or the Cards, Or the Dolphins (since Marino), or the Jets...

6. JC

JC Well-Known Member

You can never be interested in a QB if you have drafted one successfully before.

7. DanOregon

It's one of the reasons I question all hype - negative or positive - about QBs in the draft. The only people I'd listen to are Belichick and Polian.

8. DanOregon

And goes to the other question - what point is being served by trashing a potential draftee - whether anonymously or attaching your name? I can understand hyping a guy you have no intention of drafting to hide your interest and maybe get a team to bite on trading up. But trashing someone? Figure teams do their own evals and if you don't like them, it doesn't impact their decision making.

9. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

It was frustrating at times to cover Belichick, but I'd rather have somebody stonewall me than blow smoke. He doesn't try to misdirect, he just refuses to direct.

10. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

Good point on Gruden, but it's worth noting that he also has never drafted a QB in the first round. The highest he's picked one is the second round (Marques Tuiasosopo in 2001, the year before he left the Raiders).
    Chris Simms, Bruce Gradkowski and Josh Johnson were the only other QBs he drafted, and Johnson was right before he left the Bucs. Simms and Gradkowski did OK for where they were picked and what could be expected of them. Gradkowski hung around the league as a backup for eight years. Simms might have turned into something if he hadn't almost died on the field, and is also the only really young QB that Gruden ever had to ride with.
    Gruden did his best work helping pretty good veterans find another gear.

Draft saved Draft deleted