1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

2019 NFL Draft running thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by John B. Foster, Jan 14, 2019.

1. swingline

swingline Well-Known Member

I can think of one person. Lives in a big house. Painted white. Hamburders all around.

Baron Scicluna and heyabbott like this.
  2. JC

JC Well-Known Member

And where does the lawsuit stem from?

3. heyabbott

heyabbott Well-Known Member

Because most NFL scouts and GMs cant figure out ahead of time whether Ryan Leaf or Peyton Manning is the better prospect, all of this is just CYA. They dont know if he’s going to be bad, average good or great. So they will magnify any negative issue and suppress positive trait. They are already setting up excuses to fail.

4. John B. Foster

John B. Foster Well-Known Member

5. Scout

Scout Well-Known Member

If they know he is a hard worker or a decent worker and tell people he isn’t?

Let’s say your job does not want you to leave so when people call they say you are lazy.

Let’s say you are at a job fair looking for future employees and you tell you major competitor that a college kid smelled of booze the night before so you could hire them.

Is it too late for this kid to play baseball?

6. JC

JC Well-Known Member

He doesn't have a job. He is interviewing for a job.

Do you know how subjective this is? Good luck in court.

7. CD Boogie

CD Boogie Well-Known Member

What's his point, that they don't draft well? I'd be interested to see how that compares to other teams. I mean, the Giants won two Super Bowls in that time period.

Michael_ Gee and Batman like this.
  8. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

And does anything before 2013 even matter in a league where the average career lasts less than five years, and the standard rookie contract is four years?
    What that tells me is that about one-fourth of their roster is comprised of guy they've drafted. Only having one left from 2013-15, when those guys would ideally be forming a veteran core for your team, is noteworthy. I can't see the significance of not having any players left from the 2008 draft when there probably aren't many teams that have more than one or two players on their team from that draft.

9. CD Boogie

CD Boogie Well-Known Member

Moreover, that 2004 draft pick...last I checked, Philip Rivers isn't on their roster.

Batman likes this.
  10. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

Somebody ran the same chart for the Pats the other day except they had to go back to 2000 to include Brady. It had more players in the final three years than did the Giants, but the pattern was pretty much the same, revealing the startling fact that NFL careers are short.

11. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

If a team is interested in drafting Murray they obviously have a hard time evaluating a quarterback - otherwise they wouldn't be looking for another one.

12. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

That fits the Cardinals, sure. But not other teams who might be in the market for a QB. The Giants didn't miss with Eli, he's just at the end of the trail. The Redskins do many dumb things, but Alex Smith's injury is not their fault. I assure you the Saints and Pats are looking real hard at the QBs in this draft. They may not pick one, but they know they're gonna have to sooner rather than later.

Draft saved Draft deleted