1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

2019 NBA offseason thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by HanSenSE, Jun 19, 2019.

1. Tweener

Tweener Well-Known Member

Not true. If you have cap room and draft picks, you can trade for a star, kinda like the Clippers just did to become the title favorites.

heyabbott likes this.
  2. heyabbott

heyabbott Well-Known Member

3. Webster

Webster Well-Known Member

What always makes me chuckle is the log rolling that Woj and Shams have to do in tweets for agents when minor transactions happen. “Joe Blow, represented by Smith Sports, signed a two way contract with the Kings. The team is excited about the undrafted free agent”

4. Regan MacNeil

Regan MacNeil Well-Known Member

Because any time you can sign a point guard who can't shoot to a max deal, you have to do it.

5. Della9250

Della9250 Well-Known Member

Doesn't matter -- when he's unhappy after next season he'll just force a trade

6. HanSenSE

HanSenSE Well-Known Member

The process!

7. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

Found this interesting...

NBA Super-Agent Rich Paul Inks Major Deal With Hollywood Firm

Obviously agents are in it mostly for themselves, but this is just the latest instance of agents leveraging their clients' cache for their own bottom line. Writers fired their agents en masse since so many were putting together package deals and get a slice off the top from a producer in addition to their cuts from their clients. And I'm convinced Van Wagenen took the Mets gig to hook some of his clients up. I'd think the leagues would have rules that any former MLB team employee is barred from representing a player for five years, similar to the lobbying rules they have in Congress. If such moves - agent to GM back to agent - only impacted the one owner the agent worked for fine - let the buyer beware. But the entire league is affected.

8. Chef2

Chef2 Well-Known Member

9. qtlaw

qtlaw Well-Known Member

Steve Kerr comes out and says forcing a trade with time left on contract is bad for league. I’m likely to agree because I believe in the mutual promises made in a contract; owner agrees to pay full amount, player agrees to play with full effort. What AD did was wrong. Kawhi did it right at the end, play hard in that last year even though he wanted to be somewhere else.

heyabbott likes this.
  10. JC

JC Well-Known Member

Ask the Spurs if they agree with that.

sgreenwell likes this.
  11. qtlaw

qtlaw Well-Known Member

I realize there was the Spurs portion so I lazily said “at the end.”

12. qtlaw

qtlaw Well-Known Member

As much as a player leaning guy I am (because they are the entertainment and mgmt has the $) I have never liked holdouts (guys who have signed contracts) and thought mgmt should go nuclear and suspend an AD if they are not going to play hard.

heyabbott likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted