1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

2019 NBA offseason thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by HanSenSE, Jun 19, 2019.

1. Regan MacNeil

Regan MacNeil Well-Known Member

Two first-round picks and two pick swaps. That's why.

2. Tweener

Tweener Well-Known Member

Exactly. Not to mention whatever they could possibly get for CP.

If they get some expiring deals from Miami, then they will have gotten rid of the $170 million obligation to Westbrook for a mass of draft picks and a ridiculous amount of cap flexibility.

3. Regan MacNeil

And it's not like they have to use all of those picks. With their potential cap room, they could trade for disgruntled superstars, help facilitate three-way deals for some extra assets, etc.

They could take any route they choose, really. All options will be on the table for them.

4. tapintoamerica

tapintoamerica Well-Known Member

Can someone explain why the Thunder would buy out Chris Paul? What would it cost them?

5. PCLoadLetter

PCLoadLetter Well-Known Member

I cannot imagine a situation short of homicidal threats that would lead the Thunder to buy out Paul. It won't happen.

sgreenwell likes this.
  6. Regan MacNeil

Less than paying out his actual contract, if Paul accepts less. Or if they stretch him.

tapintoamerica likes this.
  7. Regan MacNeil

It probably won't happen. I don't think we can say anything with absolute certainty anymore.

8. PCLoadLetter

PCLoadLetter Well-Known Member

I mean.... I guess. But the guy can still play. There's no good reason to cripple your cap for years just to rid yourself of a hall of fame player.

9. swingline

swingline Well-Known Member

I just want to know who's going to be in those State Farm commercials.

HanSenSE likes this.
  10. heyabbott

heyabbott Well-Known Member

Cap flexibility only works if players want to play in OKC. Knicks had cap flexibility, how’d that work out? Nobody wanted to play in NOLA with AD but in 2 years players will probably want to play with him in LA

11. Regan MacNeil

Spoken like someone who stopped watching the NBA in 1998. Or maybe never really watched it at all. You know, because negroes.

sgreenwell likes this.
  12. sgreenwell

sgreenwell Well-Known Member

If he's willing to leave a lootttttt of cash on the table, maybe. He could have made more with the Clippers than orchestrating the deal to the Rockets, for one. But I don't think Oklahoma City would do that unless there was absolutely zero interest in Paul.

Draft saved Draft deleted