1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

2019 MLB Regular Season running thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by John B. Foster, Feb 17, 2019.

1. HanSenSE

HanSenSE Well-Known Member

He did that without "help" from the front office too.

That, or we wanted to make sure they all got scholarships.

2. MTM

MTM Well-Known Member

Orange slices and medals for all after the game

HanSenSE likes this.
  3. HanSenSE

HanSenSE Well-Known Member

But if that double steal works, he's a genius.

4. Della9250

Della9250 Well-Known Member

Call me crazy but the guy who homers in the seventh to put his team up 4-1 in a 4-3 victory should probably be the MVP

MTM likes this.
  5. MTM

MTM Well-Known Member

You don’t value three mid game Ks? They weren’t much bigger than the closer fanning three in the ninth in a one-run game?

6. bigpern23

bigpern23 Well-Known Member

Meh. The AL led from the second inning on and he padded a 3-1 lead to make it 4-1. Hometown guy becomes the 16th pitcher to strike out the side in 90 All Star Games, no harm in giving it to him. It would have been better if Bieber were the pitcher of record, or if the Cleveland crowd was a little more raucous for him, but in the end, it's not a huge injustice.

7. Della9250

He padded a 3-1 lead to a 4-1 lead, which was pretty big when in the next half inning it was 4-3. Kind of the difference in the game.

8. tapintoamerica

tapintoamerica Well-Known Member

Can someone explain why Tanaka was an All-Star? It's not like his team needed a token emissary. He has made 18 starts and won five of them with a credible but hardly stellar 3.86 ERA.

9. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

I grew up in Oakland when Finley still owned the team and loved going to games - even when they were terrible. You could buy a seat behind the dugout for $5 in 1980, $4 for second deck and $3 for the third deck. Bleachers were $1.50. The team wasn't very good, but it wasn't like they were charging top-scale for tickets either. I don't know how most of these franchises justify it. I imagine some of that "dynamic" pricing they've been introducing isn't so great any more.

10. Della9250

Because he was next in line in the player voting

11. tapintoamerica

tapintoamerica Well-Known Member

OK. The players voted about as well as America did in 2016.

12. bigpern23

bigpern23 Well-Known Member

I'm not saying you're wrong, but statements like these always beg the question: Who would you have swapped him out for?

Saying Tanaka doesn't deserve it doesn't mean shit without putting forth a better candidate who was snubbed. I'll hang up and listen.

Draft saved Draft deleted