1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

2019 MLB Regular Season running thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by John B. Foster, Feb 17, 2019.

1. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

2. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

Max Scherzer broke his nose while bunting during BP. He'll miss at least Wednesday's start against the Phillies.

3. micropolitan guy

micropolitan guy Well-Known Member

And the Mariners will have the gall to demand for market compensation money if Portland gets a team. If anything, Seattle has sucked so bad it's killed MLB interest in the PNW in the last decade. Portland's almost 200 miles from Seattle. Seattle should get nothing.

4. Chef2

Chef2 Well-Known Member

5. qtlaw

qtlaw Well-Known Member

That's such awful bunting technique; yeah you should get your nose busted for that. I learned better when I was 9 in LL. (Okay I don't really wish any injury on Scherzer, who I love as a P, but damn that's awful.)

6. Della9250

Della9250 Well-Known Member

Sabathia gets his 350th win today and is the 14th pitcher with both 250 wins and 3,000 strikeouts. All but one of the previous 13 are in the Hall of Fame. Roger Clemens is the one who hasn't, for obvious reasons

I would have put this under the CC Sabathia: Hall of Fame? thread but alas, search function

7. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

There are three MLB franchises between Washington and Philly, distance 200 miles. They have all done well over the years when their teams didn't suck.

8. micropolitan guy

Yes, and Boston/NYC, Cleveland/Detroit, Milwaukee/Chicago all close as well. Portland shouldn't be held hostage by a shitty team in Seattle. Supposedly the Giants want some compensation for the Southern Oregon market, too.

9. JC

JC Well-Known Member

Is Portland going to support a MLB team?

10. micropolitan guy

I think it would do very well. Great summer/fall weather, natural West Coast rivalries dating from the PCL era, growing metro area with little pro sports competition in the summer.

11. Regan MacNeil

Regan MacNeil Well-Known Member

Damn sure better have a retractable roof.

12. micropolitan guy

It will, but Portland is very dry May-September.

Average rainfall for Portland compared to NYC, where neither stadiums have roofs:

May: 2.7 inches/4.2 inches.
    June: 1.7/4.4
    July: 0.7/4.6
    August: 0.7/4.4
    September: 1.5/4.3

In the five months that comprise the bulk of the MLB season, PDX averages a total of 7.2 inches of rain. NYC averages 21.9 inches of rain.

People who don't live out here have no idea how dry it is in the PNW in the summer. Without the humidity.

swingline and maumann like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted