1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

2019 MLB Regular Season running thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by John B. Foster, Feb 17, 2019.

1. maumann

maumann Well-Known Member

While I understand the symbolism, if I were a Mariners fan, I'd be a little put out that he didn't play one last time in front of the home crowd.

2. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

I'm sure they'll have a number retirement ceremony at Safeco ASAP.

3. Twirling Time

Twirling Time Well-Known Member

4. Regan MacNeil

Regan MacNeil Well-Known Member

No-trade clause, no opt-outs. And they’ll be paying him $26M through his age-37 season.

This will be a good deal for 2-3 years.

5. swingline

swingline Well-Known Member

If Goldschmidt gets them back to relevance, or leads them to a World Series title, they’ll be happy to make that tradeoff. Besides, they might have him as a DH in the last year or two of the deal.

6. Spartan Squad

Spartan Squad Well-Known Member

An 88-win team who was 3 games out of the wild card last year isn't relevant?

7. swingline

Not to The Best Fans in Baseball(TM).

Not really to the Cardinals either.

8. Spartan Squad

If being consistently over .500 and in the playoff picture nearly every year isn't relevant I don't know what is. Mind you my team is hardly relevant and is in complete denial about it.

9. heyabbott

heyabbott Well-Known Member

As a 1B he'll probably be more productive later in his career than any other position player. His numbers are trending downward, if its a slow trend its a good contract. its a winnable division for StL for the next few years.

10. swingline

I'm just saying the St. Louis organization and the fan base believe if you aren't in the playoffs with a chance at a championship, you're not relevant. Whether that's a sane approach, I don't know. I just know that's the reality. The Cardinals never would have shut down Stephen Strasburg in the same situation Washington did.

11. Spartan Squad

Fair enough. That makes sense. Yeah Cards fans see championship or nothing. And they would revolt if the word rebuild ever was uttered by the front office.

12. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

The Cardinals haven't lost 100 games since 1908. They've only lost 90 three times in the last 100 years. That's pretty damn remarkable.

Draft saved Draft deleted