1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

2019 MLB Regular Season running thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by John B. Foster, Feb 17, 2019.

1. bigpern23

bigpern23 Well-Known Member

And Sale now has 17 Ks on 108 pitches through 7. Sox are batting now, but it's probably worth switching over if you can get the game.

2. bigpern23

Sale is out.

3. HanSenSE

HanSenSE Well-Known Member

And the Rockies win in 11.

4. bigpern23

Sale won't get the loss, but has there ever been a game where the starting pitcher struck out 17+ batters and his team lost? I know Mark Prior once struck out 16 and the Cubs lost (I was there), but not sure about 17.

EDIT: A quick Google search shows it has happened nine other times, including twice each to Randy Johnson and Nolan Ryan. It also happened to Carlton, Spahn and Feller

Last edited: May 15, 2019
  5. mpcincal

mpcincal Well-Known Member

bigpern23 likes this.
  6. HanSenSE

HanSenSE Well-Known Member

Have a night, Vlad Jr.

bigpern23 likes this.
  7. John B. Foster

John B. Foster Well-Known Member

He absolutely destroyed those balls. That bat speed is incredible.

8. MTM

MTM Well-Known Member

9. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

10. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

Looks like the Rockies technically set a record last night. They struck out 21 times in nine innings, which would have been a record if the game ended there. The record for an extra inning game is 26. The Rockies wound up with 24, which is tied for second most.

11. Scout

Scout Well-Known Member

I’m waiting for pitchers to adjust to this swing from your heels batting approach.

Pitchers are blowing their arms out left and right throwing every pitch as hard as they can. Plus, I read someplace that every MPH of pitch speed equals 8 feet of distance on a home run.

I’m almost waiting for the new era of knuckleballers and junk ballers.

12. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

Yesterday, the Indians tied the record for most games without a triple to start the season. Marlins looking to tie it tonight.

Draft saved Draft deleted