1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

2019 MLB Regular Season running thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by John B. Foster, Feb 17, 2019.

1. TigerVols

TigerVols Well-Known Member

We're not. At all.

2. qtlaw

qtlaw Well-Known Member

I am talking about a $430M guarantee v $230M guarantee since NBA has max lengths and max values. MLB has none.

The fan thing was not about Angel fans; about owners who don’t spend; As, Pirates, Marlins etc.

3. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

Who knows? I would just be guessing. Maybe it is to protect the player's potential trade value until they are absolutely sure? Even a report of past discomfort without an injury could make another team think twice.

Also, it can help temporarily stave off criticism by fans and/or media.

I really don't know why teams lie about injuries, but they do.

4. Guy_Incognito

Guy_Incognito Well-Known Member

I can't believe the reaction to the Trout contract. Who is a better value (except players ineligible for FA)?

JC likes this.
  5. maumann

maumann Well-Known Member

First thing I thought of was Mark Fidrych. Trying to overcompensate for knee injury and blow out your arm. Ugh.

Well, there's always the season after the season after next season.

6. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

For such a great player though - people outside of Anaheim don't come out to see Trout. 19th in MLB in road attendance in terms of percent capacity.

7. Guy_Incognito

Guy_Incognito Well-Known Member

So what? Why would road attendance have any impact on what a team pays it's players?

8. GilGarrido

GilGarrido Active Member

If the player's injured, the acquiring team's physical will find that out before the trade takes effect, and I assume it's not good for future business to be caught trying to trade an injured player. On the other hand, a lying team could be trying to protect its own leverage in trade negotiations for a replacement - if trade partners know you're suddenly down a pitcher, the price of pitchers might go up.

As to your earlier point, I'm not sure it would be a good look for Ryan Braun to complain about anyone else lying.

9. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

Your point about leverage is also a good one. What I'm saying is they cover up the injury until they are sure if it is serious or not. If it is serious, they deal with it. If not, they keep it hidden so no team down the line hesitates to deal for a pitcher who once had a sore arm.

To your last point, those were just the first three players I could think of who were kept in the minors when they were clearly ready with the club blatantly lying about the reasons for keeping the guy in the minors for a few extra weeks.

He's not ready! Suddenly, the day after some deadline for his free agency or arbitration clock, he's ready!

Also, just because Ryan Braun is also a lying jackass doesn't change the fact that the Brewers did lie about why they kept him down a little bit longer and MLB did lie about protecting confidential drug testing information and get away with it because the MLBPA doesn't care about defending at least some PED users.

10. JC

JC Well-Known Member

this is dumb. They have the best player in the league locked for years. There’s no cap, so who cares about the last few years.

11. JC

JC Well-Known Member

Ryan Braun was framed.

12. qtlaw

qtlaw Well-Known Member

By Roger Rabbit?

Draft saved Draft deleted