1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

2019 MLB Regular Season running thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by John B. Foster, Feb 17, 2019.

1. RickStain

RickStain Well-Known Member

Cool. If anyone ever pulls 57 across two seasons, you can explain to MLB that they aren't allowed to call it the official record and see if anyone cares.

2. Guy_Incognito

Guy_Incognito Well-Known Member

Wrapped around the all-star break OK?

3. bigpern23

bigpern23 Well-Known Member

Yup. That’s part of the schedule. Just like they get a Thursday or Monday off every week. Guy can’t play if there’s no game scheduled.

4. bigpern23

bigpern23 Well-Known Member

MLB recognizes two hitting streaks: those occurring in the same season and those occurring across two seasons.

I’m not putting a 27-game hit streak in one year and a 30- game hit streak anywhere near DiMaggio’s accomplishment. And the fact that MLB has separate categories means it doesn’t either.

John B. Foster likes this.
  5. HanSenSE

HanSenSE Well-Known Member

And FWIW, DiMaggio had a 61-game streak when he was in the PCL in 1933.

6. RickStain

RickStain Well-Known Member

I mean, if we're getting snooty about the sanctity of the record and the everyday grind, let's never forget that DiMaggio's record is bullshit based on scorekeeping decisions designed purely to keep it alive.

7. Della9250

Della9250 Well-Known Member

8. heyabbott

heyabbott Well-Known Member

They can have whatever record MLB says. Want to beat DiMaggio's consecutive game hit streak? Hit in 56 scheduled games in a row? That’s the DiMaggio

John B. Foster and bigpern23 like this.
  9. heyabbott

heyabbott Well-Known Member

10. Scout

Scout Well-Known Member

Ozuna’s gold glove chances just took a hit.

And this might be the worst announcer I have heard in a long time. Feet break his fall?

11. Sea Bass

Sea Bass Well-Known Member

12. Just the facts ma am

Just the facts ma am Well-Known Member

I am watching the Dodger broadcast today in SoCal and they're doing a Jackie Robinson promotion. BOA is giving out tee shirts, no problem, as I assume his estate is getting a licensing fee.

The announcer says Jackie stole home umpteen times using courage, focus and timing. He adds that these qualities were the same ones that allowed him to break the color barrier.

It wasn't a technological issue like the sound barrier in aviation. It was a whole country of racist players, media and fans being racist. To call it a barrier is to whitewash the evil.

HanSenSE likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted