1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

2019 MLB Regular Season running thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by John B. Foster, Feb 17, 2019.

1. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

You mean money might hold a team back from pursuing the best possible manager? Unpossible!

(Hi Songbird)

2. outofplace

They should be able to do so by now, but that they can't is evidence that WAR doesn't really do what the statheads claim it does.

3. JC

JC Well-Known Member

Lol, if you think the Royals can’t afford Maddon.

4. justgladtobehere

justgladtobehere Well-Known Member

\
    What doesn't WAR really do? The differences in the versions are slight and based on reasonable differences of opinions.

5. heyabbott

heyabbott Well-Known Member

WAR tells you Derek Jeter was better than Yogi Berra. Or does cumulative WAR only tell you that a player played more seasons at a decent level
    DiMaggio has a career WAR of 78.1. Robin Yount 77.3. How is WAR a cumulative stat worth referring to?

Maybe it can tell you players that are over rated or underrated. Dave Winfield has a career WAR 64.2 over 22 years. Only 4 of those seasons was his WAR over 5. Ken Boyer has a career WAR 62.8 in 15 seasons. 8 of those seasons over 5.0 WAR and 6 of 8 over 6. Boyer doesn’t have the aggregate stats of a Winfield, but WAR seems to indicate that he was a more valuable player.

6. outofplace

As usual, your reading comprehension skills fail you.

They can afford him, but it cuts into their profit margin, which is nowhere close to the profit margin of the higher-revenue franchises. These teams can afford more than they spend, which is why I have been correct in arguing for many years that if MLB truly wanted something close to a level playing field, there would be a salary floor and a salary cap. It's a good way to make it harder to tank if you do it right, though NFL teams do occasional manage it.

LOL if you think baseball has anything close to a level playing field.

7. outofplace

Isn't WAR supposed to be a fair way to compare the value of players at different positions and in different eras? If it could actually do that, they should be able to pick one version and use it. That they can't do that demonstrates that they are using data without even figuring out which data to use.

8. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

I think new owners tend to want to make a splash and put their stamp on a club - I also figure the Giants are going to do a major reboot of their organization as well. And a WS winning manager is cheaper than buying a top free-agent and may be easier for marketing the team.

9. outofplace

It is. I was just taking a little swipe at the baseball apologists in response to Songbird's foolishness, which I read well after he posted it. I hadn't checked this thread in a few days.

10. Chef2

Chef2 Well-Known Member

I didn't even think about Girardi being open.
    TPJ?
    pass.

11. heyabbott

heyabbott Well-Known Member

Josh Bard?

12. Chef2

Chef2 Well-Known Member

He will get his shot.
    Not here.
    I could see him in San Diego. (he was there for a couple years.)

Draft saved Draft deleted